News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard/PlexiTone

Started by chip46, September 02, 2011, 09:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chip46

This is my second Boneyard build. The first was done in a huge Hammond enclosure with the Plexi and AC tone in one enclosure. I wanted something smaller to put on the board so I could still use the Plexi without taking up so much space.

I left the boost control off this time, since I have other boosts on the board. I added an LED for each gain channel just for kicks, and to give the LED's some symetry. Also wired them so that they only come on when the pedal is engaged. The wiring got a bit messy at the end. It was looking good until I added the LED's. I always manage to mess up the wiring in the last stages of the build  :P

I'll update later with some brighter/better pics, but here she is for now

chip46

nzCdog

nice job... i like the minimalist look
bet it rawks!  8)

chip46

bigmufffuzzwizz

Brighter?!? Those LEDS are burning my eyes!!!!!  :o
Great job!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

shawnee

Nicely done indeed. I bought a second Boneyard pcb to make the full 3 stomp version and a smaller one as well. This pedal is the stuff rock-n-roll dreams are made of.  8)

chip46

It really is. It's the most amp-like distortion pedal I've ever played.

I've built the larger 3 stomp version as well, but needed a smaller one for the pedal board. It's a great pedal either way you go.

shawnee

If you haven't built a Chunk Chunk and like 80's metal tones, you NEED one. I played a Mesa Boogie MK2C for 15 years and the Chunk Chunk is closer than anything I have ever tried. It's like the Boneyard's hi-gain side but with a little more sustain and compression. With treble mid bass and presence, you can really dial it in. I like to carnk it up and pretend I'm George Lynch.  ;D

snz728

I too recently built a large Boneyard for my size 15 shoe to stomp and find myself back the 1980's too.  I havent built a chunk chunk yet.  Do you think a boneyard and chunk chunk would be redundant?

chip46

Quote from: shawnee on September 11, 2011, 11:48:30 AM
If you haven't built a Chunk Chunk and like 80's metal tones, you NEED one. I played a Mesa Boogie MK2C for 15 years and the Chunk Chunk is closer than anything I have ever tried. It's like the Boneyard's hi-gain side but with a little more sustain and compression. With treble mid bass and presence, you can really dial it in. I like to carnk it up and pretend I'm George Lynch.  ;D
Awesome, I've been curious about the Chunk Chunk, looks like I need to try one. I'm always on the look-out for more good dirt.

shawnee

I don't think the Chunk Chunk is redundant if you want more sustain. It's more Boogie than Marshall. Gain wise, it would be like if the boneyard had another channel (crunch, hi-gain, chunk chunk). The boneyard on crunch will clean up when the guitar volume is rolled back pretty well. That ain't gonna happen with the Chunk. When you turn the gain pot on the pedal, there isn't a big change. You just turn it on and it goes...... It's all sustain and is taylor made for hammer ons and pull offs. Biasing the FET's is key to getting a great tone and minimizing noise. It's just a sick pedal because it has Treble, Mid, Bass, and Presence. I can get Metallica tones all day by rolling back the mids. You can even lift the ground wire off of the presence pot and it will get you closer to a Soldano SLO. I have had the CMATMODS Brownie, Suhr Riot, and the Emma Reezafratzitz and this pedal kills them. Of course if you didn't grow up playing guitar in the 80's, you may not love it as much as I do but if you did, it's a must build.
There really aren't many good youtube demos for it (look up Dr. Boogie). This is the best one for sound quality so you can get an idea of how much gain it has. I'm not really diggin the angry tune though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71Fi0XId8M&feature=related

kensee

Hi!
Where can I take one? :o :o

Quote from: chip46 on September 02, 2011, 09:05:51 PM
This is my second Boneyard build. The first was done in a huge Hammond enclosure with the Plexi and AC tone in one enclosure. I wanted something smaller to put on the board so I could still use the Plexi without taking up so much space.

I left the boost control off this time, since I have other boosts on the board. I added an LED for each gain channel just for kicks, and to give the LED's some symetry. Also wired them so that they only come on when the pedal is engaged. The wiring got a bit messy at the end. It was looking good until I added the LED's. I always manage to mess up the wiring in the last stages of the build  :P

I'll update later with some brighter/better pics, but here she is for now

nzCdog

kensee

Hi! thanks, one with drums.
It does not sound sample ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: nzCdog on September 14, 2011, 08:04:03 AM
Quote from: kensee on September 14, 2011, 05:36:21 AM
Hi!
Where can I take one? :o :o

You can build one for yourself!!! http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Boneyard/docs/Boneyard.pdf 
And welcome to the forum! :D

kensee

audio demo sample? ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: chip46 on September 11, 2011, 06:50:45 PM
Quote from: shawnee on September 11, 2011, 11:48:30 AM
Awesome, I've been curious about the Chunk Chunk, looks like I need to try one. I'm always on the look-out for more good dirt.