News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nifty find in old electronics shop, looking for ideas

Started by somnif, August 08, 2017, 12:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

I was wandering my local electrical shop, just digging through the old NTE stacks of doom, when I came across 2 "NTE938" metal can ICs. Intrigued, I looked up the cross listing and found these were rebranded LM308s. At 2.50$ apiece I snagged em and brought them home.

Once home I noticed that one of the chips original labels hadn't been completely scrubbed. Turns out, they're LM-108s, the mil-spec big brother of the 308. I'm not terribly surprised, NTE tended to buy whatever surplus stock they could lay hands on, but I'd never actually encountered military surplus before. Very cool indeed.

I'm trying to decide what to use them on. Currently leaning towards an Expandora (as I'm not a huge stock Rat fan) but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas.

BrianS

Did you get an Alpha Dog board?  It uses a 308. 

somnif

Quote from: BrianS on August 08, 2017, 02:19:20 AM
Did you get an Alpha Dog board?  It uses a 308.

I did not, though I may in the future (I love patreon, hooray eagle files). Hmm, I need to find some audio demos.

BrianS

Its really a nice pedal.  I found a 308 can up in Dallas while visiting my brother and put it in there.  To me its not over the edge and you can really dial it in.  I'm not a metal type so it fits good with what I play.

brianq41369

Mad bean Slow Loris uses one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gordo

+1 on both Expandora (I used the JMK board) and the Alpha Dog.  Both are Rat-ish enough but with way more going on.  Not a big Rat fan myself.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

brianq41369

Back in my beginning phase of guitar, I ran 2 Rats @ same time? What a mess!!! I would have to turn my volume off between songs or I'd get howling,screaming death Lol

brianq41369

Wondering if you've seen this?

EBK

What on earth is the "W1MC" pot on the Alpha Dog schematic? http://vfepedals.com/schematics/alphadog.pdf

Is it a W taper with center detent?

Nevermind. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

brianq41369

1 Meg reverse log pot I would suppose? Maybe the W threw you off? Maybe it's a house numbered pot from a supplier that happens to use a W?

EBK

Quote from: brianq41369 on October 10, 2017, 04:02:54 AM
1 Meg reverse log pot I would suppose? Maybe the W threw you off? Maybe it's a house numbered pot from a supplier that happens to use a W?

Nah, turns out it actually is a W taper center detent pot.  A 1M linear pot can be substituted:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/VFE/VFE_AlphaDog.pdf

That design is disappointingly full of oddball pots.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

brianq41369

flanagan0718

I Just did a Big Muff / Rat Mash up. It uses the Muff circuit and introduces the Rat gain stage in right before the Tone portion of the Muff. There is a mid range cap / cut switch, and diode switches for both the Muff and Rat clipping stages...If you want one Let me know.

Or doing a straight up rat build would be cool. I think Forrest (CultureJam) did a "Drop In" Rat board a few years ago.

-Mike-

EBK

Quote from: flanagan0718 on October 10, 2017, 05:09:07 PM
I think Forrest (CultureJam) did a "Drop In" Rat board a few years ago.
I may be the only one....

Does "Drop In Rat" remind anyone else of Vichyssoise avec Rat from The Secret of Monkey Island?

Zigcat

Quote from: EBK on October 10, 2017, 05:47:57 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on October 10, 2017, 05:09:07 PM
I think Forrest (CultureJam) did a "Drop In" Rat board a few years ago.
I may be the only one....

Does "Drop In Rat" remind anyone else of Vichyssoise avec Rat from The Secret of Monkey Island?

Guybrush got that poor kid fired...