News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Mothership

Started by mjg, July 31, 2017, 09:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

This one is a Theremin Fuzz from Parasit Studio (thanks Freppo!), with a custom PT2399 echo circuit that I put together (achievement unlocked?)

I found this old Apple Airport base station behind my parents' filing cabinet a while ago.  It had been faithfully serving up a defunct wifi network for about 5 years since the telephone company technician installed a new wifi router for my parents, and didn't bother turning off the old one.  I decided to give it a better life. 

Rotary switches for the octave selector on the theremin, and another rotary for selecting the theremin, echo, or both chained.  I've put in a small circuit with a few transistors so I can switch both the LEDs on when both effects are running. 

The echo has speed warping and max feedback momentary switches.

The drilling was a bit of a hassle – there are no straight surfaces on this thing, so lining up holes was a challenge.  The boards sit off the knobs and switches with some orange juice container plastic that I cut up for the purpose.  And of course after I got everything together, I found that the very middle lug on the stomp switch wasn't quite soldered properly, so had to pull everything out again.

This one took quite a while to get finished – it's probably been sitting on the shelf in various states of undress for a few months.  But it's finally finished, and working.  I had to go with shielded wires leading into the Theremin Fuzz, as it really misbehaved if it didn't get a nice clean signal.  The shielded wires seemed to help the tracking. 

Originally I had an optical bypass in there as well, but that seemed to be screwing with the theremin as well, so I pulled it out and went with a plain 3PDT.  I'd probably just wired something wrong. 

Gut shot:

Night shot:

Video demo (about 2 minutes long):

http://graybloomfield.com/guitar/2017/07/31/the-mothership/mothership-480/

EBK

Mothership....
Apple logo....

Independence Day?

(As I get older, I realize that I need to be more careful making casual references to movies that were made over 20 years ago.  ::))
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

mjg

Has it been that long since that movie came out?  Oh man...

bcalla

That's the ccolest thing I've ever seen!  And heard!  Awesome!

oip

sheer madness, i love it!

BrianS

Very creative.  Really looks sharp.

storyboardist

That's awesome! Perfect name too.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Droogie

I love everything about this! Great job!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

jimilee

That's insane, I've been looking for a router like that for a project as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

stringsthings

That's so creative!  One of the most unique enclosures I've seen.  Congrats!
All You Need Is Love

gordo

What a cool enclosure.  Captain Kirk's Fuzz Face.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mjg

Quote from: gordo on July 31, 2017, 09:30:58 PM
What a cool enclosure.  Captain Kirk's Fuzz Face.

"It's fuzz, Jim, but not as we know it"

nzCdog

Gold!  Love this, what a fun re-purposing of an old enclosure ;D

gordo

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor...not your roadie...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Addy Bart