News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Photobucket and Imagehosts

Started by alanp, June 30, 2017, 08:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Photobucket have massively misjudged their userbase if they think that most people are going to pay $40USD a month, over $400USD a year, just for an imagehost. I've used them for a decade now, but it looks like I'm going to need to find a new site to link my build pics from. $5 a month, maybe, but not $40.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

davent

Yup, i mentioned it earlier in a thread here, Photobucket Ransomware.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=23123.msg251169#msg251169

You can still right click on a photobucket image, grab the image address and paste it between the image tags, but that does nothing for the pictures you've previously linked.

I'm on another site that seems to take the link and process it differently some how and last i checked my photos were still showing there, afraid to go back and check again.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

somnif

second vote for Imgur. Free, easy, can build albums, can crop and resize on site, great stuff.
(But for the love of god don't get into conversations about how to pronounce it. That way madness lies.)

matmosphere

I also use imgur, though I'm sure there are plenty of others that work just as well.

Rockhorst

Misjudged is maybe even an understatement...seriously stupid move...

Haberdasher

Oh, those sorry bastards.  Didn't imageshack pull something like this a few years back too?
Ah well, I've always used the direct image link with tags, so hopefully that won't stop working any time soon.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

flanagan0718

I started a blog and that's where I post my images. I use Blogger.com. It's free and super easy to use. You can make the pictures public on not and still use it to host. Plus you can now direct link from your google account. It's pretty useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davent

Quote from: Haberdasher on June 30, 2017, 10:33:53 PM
Oh, those sorry bastards.  Didn't imageshack pull something like this a few years back too?
Ah well, I've always used the direct image link with tags, so hopefully that won't stop working any time soon.

I was successful in direct linking earlier today but that is now not working.

Just checked and most of my photos are still showing at Badger and Blade, they have always seemed to have a different process there.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Quote from: culturejam on June 30, 2017, 08:13:55 PM
Imgur.com

On another forum i was looking at a poster said Imgur isn't allowing 3rd party hosting anymore either, can only use it to link to Twitter or Facebook.

Is that wrong?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/977186-photobucket-blocking-3rd-party-hosting.html
dave

pickdropper

Quote from: Haberdasher on June 30, 2017, 10:33:53 PM

A bunch of my direct links died today as well.  It's bucketmageddon.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Quote from: davent on June 30, 2017, 11:42:16 PM
Quote from: culturejam on June 30, 2017, 08:13:55 PM
Imgur.com

On another forum i was looking at a poster said Imgur isn't allowing 3rd party hosting anymore either, can only use it to link to Twitter or Facebook.

Is that wrong?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/977186-photobucket-blocking-3rd-party-hosting.html
dave

From Imgur's site-

Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.

Imgur Terms of Service - http://imgur.com/tos

dave

matmosphere

I think posting to  forum like this from imgur is fine. They actually provide links that you can copy and paste straight into forums from their site. Guess I could be wrong but that seems like an odd thing to offer if you don't want people posting to forums.

davent

They come down on Avatars in their statement, i'd be pretty leery having been bitten today.  Also long ago used Imageshack...

dave

culturejam

Quote from: davent on July 01, 2017, 12:44:01 AM
From Imgur's site-

Yeah, well I guess I was thinking more like using it for forums and whatnot. Each image on imgur includes a "cilck here to copy" box with BBcode, so I assume they are okay with forums. And all of Reddit uses imgur for EVERYTHING. But yeah, you really shouldn't be trying to run a business or an art gallery using their bandwidth to host content.

I think we're seeing the beginning of the end of "free everything unlimited" on the internet. It's just not a workable business model.

BTW, here's a pic form my imgur album.  ;D

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects