News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NVAD

Started by pickdropper, June 26, 2017, 11:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Technically, this is on loan, but if I like it I can do some horse swapping and add it to the stable.

The head is a '69 JMP 50 from a friend of mine who is a Marshall collector.  Believe it or not, he has three of these heads build on the same day in '69.  Crazy.  The nice thing about the '69 heads is that they were the first of the metal panel JMP 50s; the early ones had are plexi amps without the plexi front panel, which makes them less collectable and a bit more affordable.  Perfect if you want the sound without the price tag.

The cab is a '74 with a nice set of creamback speakers.  Supposedly, these are the same construction as vintage greenback Pre-Rolas, but they changed the color after Rola took over.  Either way, it adds up to another nice piece without the astronomical collectors value.

I haven't had it very long, so I am still playing around with the sound.  It sounds great at volume, so I've been using a THD Hot Plate with it, but I think there are better attenuator options out there that I will look into at some point.  It's not the world's most flexible amp, but what it does, it does really well.  I was able to dial in some classic tones pretty easily.  What surprised me was how well it nails that Adam Jones Tool Undertow sound with a Les Paul.  It's pretty much spot on.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gordo

Very jealous.  I have a later master volume model JMP-50 that I modded the snot out of (Dan Torres Ultimate Marshall) and while it sounds quite good I wish I would have left it alone.  I'm not concerned about collector value, I just hate hacking up old amps.

That cab looks SO Jimi!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

brianq41369

Marshalls aren't very flexible when not pushed a bit, I wish I never got rid of my '69, definitely an amp that sounds better driven hot. EL's or KT power tubes? Hope you get it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pickdropper

Quote from: brianq41369 on October 09, 2017, 03:36:52 AM
Marshalls aren't very flexible when not pushed a bit, I wish I never got rid of my '69, definitely an amp that sounds better driven hot. EL's or KT power tubes? Hope you get it!

It has EL34s.  Haven't finalized the deal yet, but it's still a possibility.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

brianq41369

Kool, I've had both, the KT's really push it into beast mode! Myself, I wouldn't think twice about adding this to my collection!