News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Distortion II, Final Phase & SMD Triple Wreck

Started by dan.schumaker, June 19, 2017, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here are a few builds I've been working on for the last week or two.

Distortion II - Built on a Lectric FX board.  This is one of the pre-production boards Keefe had available.  This is a great sounding circuit, I really like being able to add some treble and bass with the resonance and filter pots

Final Phase - Another Lectric FX board from Keefe.  He was kind enough to let me be a guinea pig on this build, and I'm really glad to have been.  Another great sounding phaser.  There is some really wide and deep phasing going on with this one, another fun circuit.

Buick Drive - I got this board from Brane, one of his bonus boards.  This is a Triple wreck based on Chuckbuick's layout.  So I decided to remember him with the graphics on this guy.  Like all of his circuits, real good high gain tones to be had here.

stringsthings

Excellent builds!

I may have to try that dist 2.   Made one from a BYOC kit a long time ago and was not
impressed.
All You Need Is Love

somnif

What on earth is that phaser based on. Is it an original circuit? 10-stagers are relatively rare, and I can't think of any that are OTA based, especially with selectable overdrive.

I am intrigued. And a little confused. But mostly intrigued.

bsoncini

Nice builds.

I believe the phaser is an a/da phaser clone. Never heard one in person built in videos they sound like they get pretty deep.

Scruffie

Quote from: bsoncini on June 19, 2017, 06:13:03 PM
I believe the phaser is an a/da phaser clone. I believe there is an overdrive built in too.

And it's actually CMOS switch based, not OTA.

Nice builds though.

Now everyone can pelt me with rotten tomatoes for holding up the release of the Final Phase by not writing the set up procedure  :-[

And 10 stages is... well it's debatable, it sort of is and sort of isn't.
Works at Lectric-FX

somnif

Quote from: bsoncini on June 19, 2017, 06:13:03 PM
Nice builds.

I believe the phaser is an a/da phaser clone. Never heard one in person built in videos they sound like they get pretty deep.

Well, it certainly looks that way. Neat to see A/DA getting some love beyond its mythical flanger

(But dear god I hope that thing is less painful to bias than the flanger. Nightmares....)

Scruffie

Quote from: somnif on June 19, 2017, 06:17:23 PM
(But dear god I hope that thing is less painful to bias than the flanger. Nightmares....)
There's still a back and forth between the clock min and clock range trimmers but no bias or gain adjustments so yeah i'd say it's a bit easier, no sweep trim this time either.
Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

Setup was painless on mine, even with my complete lack of ability to read detailed instructions. Sounds killer and I'm not really a phaser guy. Even though I have at least a half dozen around here...

As big as this beast is I can see it being a regular on my live board.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

nzCdog

gordo

Before I hogged in on this one...REALLY nice builds Dan.  Very nice touch with the Buick.  Fitting that it's such a nice job on the board, let alone an SMD.  Thanks for posting that, it's a great tribute from one of us to him.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Boba7

The SMD board is quite impressive, and a nice tribute.

Hmmm and another Final Phase... wonder if it's a sign for me to get a board... :D

Great job, your pedals always look really nice.

Haberdasher

Really nice looking builds, Dan!

Quote from: somnif on June 19, 2017, 06:06:34 PM
What on earth is that phaser based on. Is it an original circuit? 10-stagers are relatively rare, and I can't think of any that are OTA based, especially with selectable overdrive.

I am intrigued. And a little confused. But mostly intrigued.
That's my fault.  I'm actually unsure how many stages it is myself.  I had "10 stage" on the prototype pcb and meant to change it to "mutli-stage" for the production pcb....and then totally forgot.   :-[
The next run will say multi-stage. Sorry for the confusion.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings