News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Neutrino - Debugging (general debugging)

Started by keysandguitars, August 29, 2011, 04:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keysandguitars

I build a testing rig and have just clipped on the lead from my DMM to the rig to use as a temporary audio probe. I'm a total new to circuitry and understanding current flow so debugging is a major challenge...but I'm working on it.

With the test rig hooked up, I pass signal to the in and with my probe check the joint at IN (signal good), then the joint at C1 (good), the the other side of C1, at this point signal is lost. I've reflowed that joint and don't get signal. I'm assuming the next step is remove the component test the capacitance, if it checks out, reinsert, solder and test again?

I'm searching the web for good reading on how to read schematics, at least to understand and follow the current flow so that I can attempt to debug and follow the audio signal with success. Any suggestions?

TIA, Brandon
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

jkokura

On the other side of C1 there are actually three parts that connect together - R2, C1 and the IC pin 5. The problem could be with any of those parts actually. My guess is that you haven't got the power working correctly actually.

What's your voltage at the 9V in on the board? What about at ground?

Also, did you put a 100nF decoupling cap in between your probe and the connection to your testing rig?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

keysandguitars

Your suspicion of the power makes sense. Imassuming my LED should light up which it doesn't. I'm retiring home and will check the voltage.

I didn't put a 100nf decoupling cap in. I just clipped the probe in temporarily. I'll add a second black wire to te testing rig and wire the cap a d get an extra probe. Thanks for your thread on building the testing rig. It made it a snap.

jkokura

No problem! You'll probably enjoy the updated version coming soon!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

keysandguitars

Jacob, you're the man! It was indeed a power issue. Finally, I had an hour to sit down and go over the board. I scraped between some traces and noticed a hairline separation in the copper trace (self-etched board) between R9 and IC pin 5. I wired directly from R9 to the IC 5 pad and bingo, Neutrino Burst.

There isn't as much gain as I thought there'd be, but I'll check voltages with a DMM to see that I've got it running correctly. I like what I heard so far though, handles chords nicely and not too heavy.

Thanks Jacob, I appreciate the hint and pointing me in the right direction. I'm out of town for a week. The Pork Barrel awaits my return. It's all wet, no dry, or it sounds like the vibe mod is permanently engaged. Good times ahead. ;D

jkokura

Great to hear! Thanks for reporting back. Too often we do help out with debugging but people don't let us know how it goes! Look forward to seeing your build report!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*