News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uproar question

Started by TRADAmpGuy, August 28, 2011, 11:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRADAmpGuy

Finalizing my order from Mouser/PedalPartsPlus and was thinking of socketing some of the caps and diodes for tone tweaking. Which caps do you guys recommend socketing? Im looking for the ones that most influence tone. Also, which diodes would you be most inclined to play around with?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

PS. Which sockets do you guys like? Mouser has a boat load of them :headscratch:

oldhousescott

C8 and C9 would be good candidates for socketing. Likewise, D1 through D7 are possibilities for experimentation. The usual suspects for diodes would be 1n914, 1n4148, 1n34a, 1n60, BAT41, even 1n4001.

I prefer the sockets with machine-turned pins. Others prefer the leaf-spring style sockets. Refer to the datasheets or catalog pages for pictures to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.

stecykmi

i often buy 28 or 40 pin machined sockets and chop them up to make transistor sockets and the like.

Anyway, most of the caps on the Uproar are for decoupling gain stages and a huge so they're not worth changing.

As mentioned about C8 and C9 are worth playing around with (the built doc suggests it in fact). You could also try C3 and/or C6 to further decrease some high end (by making them larger), but you'll really just achieve the same effect by increasing C8/C9.

For more bass, try increasing the input cap, C1, but it's already sort of big. For less bass, try decreasing it (maybe 15n or 10n). I've yet to build the Uproar, but i'm pretty certain it's not shy on bass.