News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What were you guys listening to in High School?

Started by jkokura, August 27, 2011, 08:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Do you remember your favourite bands from back then?

I nearly wore out my copy of Grammatrain's Lonely House. I also listened to a lot of Five Iron Frenzy and some other ska bands. Then I got a copy of Dave Matthew's Live and Luther College and Before These Crowded Streets. I also remember really being into some pretty crazy metal back then too.

Jacob

Edit: I almost forgot The Colour and the Shape! Foo is good.
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

If it was a hard rock/metal (and some hair) band I was into it. My tape collection included:

Iron Maiden, Metallica, the Cult, Whitesnake, White Lion, Rush, Scorpions, Motley Crew, Def Leppard, LA Guns, Great White, and a hundred others. The only band that had staying power for me is Rush. The rest of that crap I cannot stand now. I saw most of those bands in concert, too.

Haberdasher

AC/DC, Judas Priest, Rush, Scorpions, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, The Doors, The Police, Aerosmith, Yngwie, ZZ Top, Violent Femmes, The Tubes.  The usual suspects, really.

I did like some other different stuff like The English Beat and material from Windham Hills (namely Alex De Grassi) that my friends thought I was weird for listening to.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

mjcyates

The Cars, The Boomtown Rats, The Police, all of the "THE" bands.

timbo_93631

Skankin' Pickle, Hepcat, Checkmate, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Elvis Costello, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters and lots and lots and lots of Bob Marley
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

cjkbug

metal and shrapnel records shred stuff. tons of rush. whatever band was flavor of the month back then. lots of metallica and slayer.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

jimmybjj

unwritten law, weezer, metallica, mxpx, rancid, sublime, radio head, nurf hearder
Pcbs no longer available

oldhousescott

Kansas, Aerosmith, Nugent, ZZ Top, Styx, Keaggy, Petra

madbean

Also, loads of Satriani and Vai. I was really into those guys. Not anymore, though :)

jkokura

Quote from: timbo_93631 on August 27, 2011, 02:31:19 PMNirvana, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog

Quote from: oldhousescott on August 27, 2011, 03:12:33 PMKeaggy, Petra

See those guys were more late Elementary school and Jr. High for me. The Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/AinC/Stone Temple Pilots scene was Jr. High for me. I still listen to that stuff regularly, including Keaggy...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

Quote from: madbean on August 27, 2011, 08:57:57 AM
The only band that had staying power for me is Rush. The rest of that crap I cannot stand now.
I know the feeling.  Alot of those bands I used to love drive me crazy now.  Also, I hated country in high school too.  It was the 90's and country was pretty weak at the time, but the country stuff coming out nowadays can be pretty compelling and I like alot of it.  Funny how tastes change.  Still love that john Lee Hooker though.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jtn191

Pavement, Built to Spill/The Halo Benders, David Bowie's Ziggy, Tuscadero, Tullycraft, Superchunk/Portastatic, lots of stuff on Merge Records and Blue Note

crash

That was about 20 years ago for me.  Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Anthrax, Satch, Vai, Pink Floyd, Zepplin, Queen, Van Halen.  So pretty much typical stuff from back then.

Smeero

stone roses, echo and the bunnymen, happy mondays, faith no more, hendrix, xtc

TRADAmpGuy

AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Foreigner, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Hendrix, Stones, Van Halen, Rush, Bowie, Clapton, Tull, Zep and much more that escapes me ATM