News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1/8 Resistors

Started by Timko, May 24, 2017, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

This summer I seem to have collected some 1/8 resistor projects to work through (a couple of Kyrpton phasers, a Pangea Tremolo, and the very daunting Nameless Flanger).  I have been ordering the cheapie 1/4 resistors from Tayda for a while, but I've been making the switch to ordering components from Mouser for my last 2 orders.  I've looked at past Mouser orders I've placed, and the Xicon resistors I've ordered have been 6.8 mm in length.  I can tell from the boards that the 1/8 watt are smaller.  I think from my searching that I'm looking for something half off that size (3.5 mm).  Am I on the right track? 

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xicon/270-47-RC/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu61qfTUdNhG%2fx58qVkkJBru51SUIEDxOY%3d

Also, is there some cheaper place to get these?  I suppose I'm spoiled ordering 100 metal film resistors from Tayda for a little over a dollar, but man.

micromegas

I used to buy all my 1/8 resistor from Paul: http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_21

0.06 AUD for each resistor seems a good deal to me, and Paul is a really nice guy to deal with
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

krisk

I've had good luck with getting 1/8w sized ones from Arrow. They have a lot of the common values in the 3.3 mm in 1/4w from Stackpole. Right now they have free shipping with a $20 minimum.

Betty Wont

Tayda does have 1/8watt metal film resistors at a penny each. I use them for the same projects you listed and they are fine.

Timko

Quote from: Torgoslayer on May 24, 2017, 03:39:36 PM
Tayda does have 1/8watt metal film resistors at a penny each. I use them for the same projects you listed and they are fine.

Honestly, I didn't even look at Tayda because I assumed they didn't sell them based on some older post on the forums.  Thanks for the info! I already have a potentiometer order to place with them, so I'll order these as well.

davent

If you're searching for resistors at Mouser/Digikey, instead of filtering the search by wattage, filter by physical size, you'll end up up with hits for 1/8, 1/6, 1/4 maybe even 1/2w, been awhile that will fit the footprint.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Timko

The physical size is somewhere around 3.5mm right?

bsoncini

I built two of those projects you mentioned. Krypton and pangea. I mostly used tayda 1/8 resistors and the rest stand up 1/4.  Worked perfectly.

Betty Wont

Quote from: Timko on May 24, 2017, 04:30:38 PM
The physical size is somewhere around 3.5mm right?
Yep

culturejam

Dimensions for 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8-watt are on page 1.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

I get 1/8W resistors from tayda, these days.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website