News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why don't we have a craft beer thread? Now we do!

Started by jubal81, April 22, 2017, 05:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

my favorite IPA Evah  8)

97 out of 100 on beeradvocate

stecykmi

Quote from: jubal81 on April 25, 2017, 06:24:35 AM
Quote from: nzCdog on April 24, 2017, 02:59:05 AM
I have a few favourite drops here in NZ.  Quite a few craft brewers in Canterbury, one of the most popular '3 Boys' do a sensational Wheat Beer and IPA.  And Stout.  Actually come to think of it their Lager's not bad, either.   :o

I've heard New Zealand hops are a bit different - maybe more fruity. GoodLife brewery in Oregon claims to use them in their 'Sweet As,' which does hint at a berry flavor, but didn't really blow my hair back or taste all that different.

i tried this guy when i was in portland over the holidays!! i actually really liked it i, it was not too citrus-y which i prefer.

neandrewthal

Quote from: bsoncini on April 22, 2017, 12:21:40 PM
I love me a good IPA. Thankfully craft beer is starting to get more popular in France. Still too expensive. Costs much more than when I lived in the US. But at least I can find a few good beers at the grocery stores other than known Belgian beers.

Sometimes they get too French about it, "this pairs well with this or that cheese", "sublime with fois gras", etc.

I`m a recovering IPA hater, so I`m just starting to appreciate craft beer more (since IPA seems to be the only beer that the craft scene does pretty consistently well) Don`t be too hard on me though, because I live in Ontario where all alcohol sales are controlled by the government so my access to world class craft beer is restricted in favour of being force fed our local product. The Alchemist? Three Floyds? Dogfish Head? Forget it! Its all about local stuff here. 

Anyways, the reason I am replying to you is because getting known Belgian beers at the grocery store sounds like a dream come true! I still think known Belgian beers are the best in the world (that I`ve tried at least).

davent

The local stuff is local stuff where ever you are.

The Alchemist you mention only distributes according to one article, within a twenty mile radius of the brewery, that's nothing to do with Ontario government controlled access to beer.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

neandrewthal

Wow, I stand corrected on that one. Im just jealous I cant try so many of beers that people rave about online, so I blame the LCBO.

However, just looking at the first page of many reviews of the Alchemist Heady Topper on ratebeer I see reviewers from U.K., Norway and Poland, so these people must be getting it there somehow, unless they all visited the brewery.

When look at reviews for some of the most acclaimed US craft beers and then taste local Ontario craft beer I kind of feel like Im missing something. I may be wrong but it seems like some lackluster stuff gets a free pass due to local hipster cred and because its easy to beat the coors light and budweiser most people drink.

That could just be my palate though. A lot of it is milder stuff that seems to be made to appeal to people who are moving up from Coors and the like. I like my beer beefy and well balanced. Maybe Im just fussy. I happen to be enjoying an IPA from Hamilton at the moment though  ;)

alanp

Haven't had any good craft beers lately, but if NZ brewed stuff is still like it used to be a couple years ago, then they hop the living hell out of the brew. Hoppier than Kermit the Frog on meth.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

Quote from: alanp on April 26, 2017, 04:17:49 AM
Haven't had any good craft beers lately, but if NZ brewed stuff is still like it used to be a couple years ago, then they hop the living hell out of the brew. Hoppier than Kermit the Frog on meth.

Seems to be the trend everywhere as craft brewers multiply like crazy. I've read that IPAs are the easiest beer to make because the bitterness masks a lot of mistakes new brewers can make.

I spent years digging through the coolers trying to find a pilsner in there somewhere, but I've gotten used to the extreme hops these days.

Got a six pack of this Blonde Amber at home at it's pretty great - and a break from the bitter. My first go at Pyramid Brewing in Seattle.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

davent

I'm really not very picky, i just like being able to come home with a bunch of single cans/bottles i've never tried or heard of before.

Interesting about the IPA, anecdotally at least they do seem to dominate the offerings i see on the shelves.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

peAk

Its crazy that IPAs can actually fry your taste buds

Not permanently but still......

TNblueshawk

Quote from: jubal81 on April 26, 2017, 05:02:06 AM

Seems to be the trend everywhere as craft brewers multiply like crazy. I've read that IPAs are the easiest beer to make because the bitterness masks a lot of mistakes new brewers can make.

I spent years digging through the coolers trying to find a pilsner in there somewhere, but I've gotten used to the extreme hops these days.

Got a six pack of this Blonde Amber at home at it's pretty great - and a break from the bitter. My first go at Pyramid Brewing in Seattle.

Pyramid apricot wheat is awesome.
John

Droogie

Quote from: jubal81 on April 26, 2017, 05:02:06 AM

If you can find it, Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues is a great craft pilsner. Also dig their Old Chubb scotch ale for a change of pace.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

WormBoy

Just had one of these:

Small new brewery "Bierderij Waterland". Interesting for me, as they are from the area where I grew up. In fact, the name of this organically brewn Tripel refers to the actual town I grew up in. And it actually tastes pretty good!

jubal81

Quote from: Droogie on April 27, 2017, 07:55:11 PM
If you can find it, Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues is a great craft pilsner. Also dig their Old Chubb scotch ale for a change of pace.

You nailed it. Had a Mama's 4-5 years ago, which was what got me on a quest to seek them out. Interestingly, the Post has a story today about Pils being the new trend.

Here's the link. Nice read.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

thesmokingman

pilsner is one of those things that I just have very strong opinions about. its the beer a lot of us grew up with (bud, coors, etc) so we know what a middle of the road mass produced pils should taste like and probably little idea of what a good one should taste like. the few craft ones I had were still a little too hop forward for me.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jubal81

Fresh Hop beer season official underway. There are several on tap around town now that the harvest is over. Fresh hops go in the kettle instead of hops extract. Definitely a bit different - fruitier, more complex, bitter with less bite. It's pretty nice.

- David Fair