News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Setting things on fire (Giant Hogweed problems)

Started by Timko, April 04, 2017, 02:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

I have a general question to ask when trying to find bridges:

Is there some other less obvious way other than solder going from one pad to another to create a bridge?  While I've tried to ensure that each pad for a component doesn't have a solder connection to another, I didn't know if there's another troubleshooting technique I need to go through to ensure no connection is there.

drolo

From what you described I don't really see how we could locate where the short might be or any method other than close inspection
Perhaps someone else has better strategies though

Timko

Thanks David.  I assumed the same.

Does anyone with more experience building have any tips they would care to share, if there happen to be any tips other than inspection?

playpunk

Maybe reflow from both sides? That sometimes clears things up.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

bsoncini

If anything looks close use your multimeter in the continuity setting and see if it beeps.

But double check k in the schematic also. It might beep because of the PCB traces.

Timko

Because the issue is that the power and ground rails are connected, it's tough to get an accurate reading.  For example, the picture David posted earlier if of C28, which looks like it could have a bridge issue.  The 2 pads show continutity, but because one pad is connected to ground and the other to power, I'm not sure if those are the cause of the issue.  I my try the re-flowing from both sides thing, but I'm becoming more all right with throwing this board in the trash and trying again :(.