News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nother finishing option - Carbon Fiber Wrap

Started by madbean, March 08, 2017, 09:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I bought this wrap off Amazon quite a while back but this was my first time using it. To apply, I used 220 grit sandpaper and sanded cross-hatch over the enclosure. This is to create small grooves for the glue on the wrap to adhere to. I cleaned the enclosure with Acetone, then applied the wrap pretty much the same way you would do tolex. It already has a glue backing which makes it much easier. Went on really quick -t he whole cutting and wrapping took less that ten minutes.

GermanCdn

That is sexier than a Vet on Cow Husbandry day!
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

blearyeyes

Quote from: madbean on March 08, 2017, 09:43:12 PM
I bought this wrap off Amazon quite a while back but this was my first time using it. To apply, I used 220 grit sandpaper and sanded cross-hatch over the enclosure. This is to create small grooves for the glue on the wrap to adhere to. I cleaned the enclosure with Acetone, then applied the wrap pretty much the same way you would do tolex. It already has a glue backing which makes it much easier. Went on really quick -t he whole cutting and wrapping took less that ten minutes.

I've been looking at that stuff forever. Never popped for it. That looks really cool..

culturejam

I can never figure out how to handle the corners. I'm also bad at gift wrapping.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Haberdasher

that's pretty awesome, it reminds me a little bit of the blue diamond tolex on the old ampegs.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bluescage

Adam_DIY

That looks ace I'm definitely having a go with some of that.

peterc

Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

mrclean77

That looks pretty slick!  8)

Quote from: culturejam on March 08, 2017, 10:00:34 PM
I can never figure out how to handle the corners. I'm also bad at gift wrapping.

I'm pretty bad at gift wrapping. I've done ok with fabric coverings, but I do avoid stuff like that CF above that would require you get the pattern straight.  :-[

TNblueshawk

Very cool.

How did you deal with the corners?
John