News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Midway Fair's meagre 2017 FAWM output

Started by midwayfair, March 03, 2017, 03:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I wasn't FAWMing this year (I'm supposed to be producing a couple friends' albums, though that hasn't happened as consistently as was planned), but I got a few songs out anyway.

Out of My Mind -- classic country

If We Drown or If We Burn - folk rock with a bunch of slide

(We've Gotta) Try - soul rock.

Keming - a little song about the importance of clear font faces.

Track 3 (which was actually the fourth song, but it's more fun to end with Keming) is probably the best mix of the four. #2 still seems a little muddy to me, so any suggestions on the mixes are welcome.

Boba7

I just listened to the 2nd one and really like it, the melody, ambiance and playing are great. But the backing vocals are out of tune which in my opinion gives it the muddiness you hear. 

I'll listen to the other tracks!

P.S: ah ah the last one is funny

nzCdog

I had to google what FAWM was...
Cool tracks Jon... I like 'Out of my mind' the most 8)

midwayfair

Quote from: Boba7 on March 03, 2017, 08:42:27 PM
I just listened to the 2nd one and really like it, the melody, ambiance and playing are great. But the backing vocals are out of tune which in my opinion gives it the muddiness you hear. 

hah. Thank you! This was part of what I was hearing for sure and it explains why I couldn't find weird frequency or reverb anomalies building up. I had the wrong key on the pitch correction for the middle and low backing vox. (I'm really out of practice vocally at the moment on backing vox especially.) I also tuned them a little harder. Definitely sounds a lot better now, though I think it would ultimately benefit from a professional mix if I were to release it into the wild for any serious reason.

I uploaded the new version.

Boba7

Yeah sounds better now! :) Though I think the harmonies could be better and more "powerful" (not the exact word I'm looking for but you see what I mean I'm sure). But I'm way too picky about vocal harmonies.

I think the overall mix is quite good, and if you wanted to release it maybe just get a quick mastering and that'd be good. I'd still have to listen more seriously to the tracks in the studio to know for sure.

I've listened to a few of your tracks on your site, and really enjoy their vibe. It's really good work.

midwayfair

Quote from: Boba7 on March 05, 2017, 03:57:57 PM
Though I think the harmonies could be better and more "powerful" (not the exact word I'm looking for but you see what I mean I'm sure).

No, I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Even the lead vocal is also more laid back than I originally intended -- the backing vocals maybe should have been a bit more shouty, or at least more in a "high lonesome" style (more pinched/nasal). Unfortunately my voice wasn't really up to the task that week, and having really forceful backing vocals was overwhelming the lead vocal, so I made them "lazier" for the final takes. The other takes with the more powerful vox don't sit as well.

Boba7

Quote from: midwayfair on March 05, 2017, 04:19:02 PM
... having really forceful backing vocals was overwhelming the lead vocal, so I made them "lazier" for the final takes. The other takes with the more powerful vox don't sit as well.

Oh yeah I totally understand that. Vocals can be funny. So much going on apart from the obvious (tune, rythm), the intention and timbre play a huge part too, even in backing vocals.