News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LowRider

Started by madbean, August 18, 2011, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCobbenator

Incredible! I dig your chops too! Try it with bass yet?

madbean

No, but I have tried it with a baritone and it sounds thunderous.

talon5051

QuoteI do plan on trying to tweak the upper a little to see if I can boost it.

I am looking forward to hearing this.  Thanks.

jubal81

Now this has me really excited.
I've been using a micro POG to get a subtle 12-string sound, but the octave up sounds god-awful past about 10 o'clock. It sounds like a cheesy kids' keyboard.
Does this guy track well enough to play chords and know any other solutions for getting a faux 12-string sound?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

dbharris

Sounds awesome!  I want this and a dipthonizer so bad lol

GhostofJohnToad

That is sweet!!!  I gotta have one.  When will it be available?  Soon? 

Your playing is pretty good.  Kinda reminded me of Jonny Lang a bit.

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on August 19, 2011, 09:43:05 AM
The upper octave is not very strong in this design, it seems. It's there, but the lower octaves are just much stronger. Without the lower octaves it becomes much more prominent. I do plan on trying to tweak the upper a little to see if I can boost it. However, it definitely adds grit to the overall sound.
There was an old post by Z.Vex on DIY stompboxes that explained how to bring out the upper octave... it apparently made it a lot fuzzier but it might be worth looking in to.

Quote from: jubal81 on August 21, 2011, 03:39:04 AM
Now this has me really excited.
I've been using a micro POG to get a subtle 12-string sound, but the octave up sounds god-awful past about 10 o'clock. It sounds like a cheesy kids' keyboard.
Does this guy track well enough to play chords and know any other solutions for getting a faux 12-string sound?
From the reviews I read, it can track them a bit better than some Analog octaves (as in it doesn't go completely glitchy but still not quite right) but it wont have the same tracking as something digital like the Micro Pog.
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Hey Bean, did a little research for you... the Mod Z.Vex posted was actually on Harmony Central, I couldn't find the original post but I found one quoting it... apparently C10 & 12 are removed to bring out the upper octave, looking at the original schematic that would be an 0.01 & 0.033uF Cap

http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Vibrato%20and%20Pitch%20Shift/Pearl%20OC-07.jpg

Near IC6 in the signal path, worth a shot!

Even found a clip of it post mod!
Quotehttp://www.home.no/yomamasopurdy/oc-07.mp3

The clip goes like this:
guitar without fx
1 octave down
2 octaves down
1 octave up
1 octave down, 2 octave down AND 1 octave up

Hope that helps!
Works at Lectric-FX

brainbender

Thanks MB for this! I'd really like to compare it with my OC-2 side by side! Can't wait! ;D

Bored

Nice!! I had no interest in an up/down in one box... but that sounds cool as hell! Much better than the standard Blue Box!

JakeFuzz

Couldn't you lower the 56K resistor (R49 in the gaussmarkov schem) to bring out the upper octave more? It seems this just goes into a weighted summer summing the normal signal and the upper and lower octaves. If you lower the value of the upper octave weighting resistor the gain goes up relative to the other signals.

Quote from: Scruffie on September 01, 2011, 03:03:20 PM
Hey Bean, did a little research for you... the Mod Z.Vex posted was actually on Harmony Central, I couldn't find the original post but I found one quoting it... apparently C10 & 12 are removed to bring out the upper octave, looking at the original schematic that would be an 0.01 & 0.033uF Cap

Edit: just saw this. This should work too. This mod is just removing the two low pass filters after the upper octave is generated. I am guessing there is such heavy filtering to remove said distortion. You could just lower the values until all they are clipping out is the fizz.

How the heck does this circuit work by the way? I can see one half wave rectifier for each octave (envelope followers?). The upper octave just amplifies this rectified signal. The lower octaves control the gate of FET's which short a differential amplifier to ground (amplifying a half clipped normal signal when shorted). To me it looks like the envelope is enabling the two lower octave amplifiers which then go into an opmap configuration i've never seen before. Is that an oscillator?  

Edit #2: NVM Mark Hammer has a great explanation over at DIYSB

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=89385.0

nzCdog

Quote from: Scruffie on September 01, 2011, 03:03:20 PM

http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Vibrato%20and%20Pitch%20Shift/Pearl%20OC-07.jpg

Near IC6 in the signal path, worth a shot!

Even found a clip of it post mod!
Quotehttp://www.home.no/yomamasopurdy/oc-07.mp3

The clip goes like this:
guitar without fx
1 octave down
2 octaves down
1 octave up
1 octave down, 2 octave down AND 1 octave up

Hope that helps!
Props Scruffie!  Thanks for the demos too, looks like a must have pedal now!

joegagan

chromesphere

I think i found my next project.  Awesome...
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

LaceSensor