News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Juan's adventures in retro computers/consoles - was - Anal bleaching...?

Started by juansolo, February 11, 2017, 09:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

More adventures in geekery. I will get around to some pedals shortly I promise!

http://juansolo.co.uk/geekery/retrobrite.html
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

zombie_rock123

Well that was a risky click! :o Even if it's not something I'm ever going to do, I still enjoy reading how tos and learning about cool stuff. I do have an N64 floating about that I need to do something with and your gaming stuff keeps popping up. Too many projects!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

juansolo

It's very distracting at the minute. I've really got to get on and make a nixie clock this weekend for a friend and some pedals that have been commissioned by a regular... But the gaming stuff keeps cropping up.

Mainly it's because the market has gone stupid of late so I'm desperately trying to grab things while they're still around from friend's lofts and wotnot. I'm getting there now though. Down to needing one computer (A1200), ok possibly another (130XE), and a couple of consoles (2600 or 7800 + a Neo Geo CDZ). Then I'm done. Really. Honestly...

I wouldn't mind an old PowerMac G4 1.25Mhz like I used to have (last machine that could run classic native...).

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to put all this...

EBRAddict

I thought this was going to be another "Good source for..." thread

Muadzin

You have way too much free time on your hands.  8)

juansolo

Next project: Turn this rather sad thing into something awesome!

selfdestroyer

That looks like it will clean up nicely. Still jealous, I need to add one to my collection at some point.

Cody

juansolo

juansolo

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 17, 2017, 06:29:36 PM
That looks like it will clean up nicely. Still jealous, I need to add one to my collection at some point.

Cody

I might have another (dead) one coming. But I do have a working mainboard for one. Welcome to it if it comes off.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: juansolo on February 17, 2017, 08:12:20 PM

Cody

I might have another (dead) one coming. But I do have a working mainboard for one. Welcome to it if it comes off.

Im sure I have something for you to trade with. Just let me know.

Cody

juansolo

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 17, 2017, 08:22:47 PM
Quote from: juansolo on February 17, 2017, 08:12:20 PM

Cody

Im sure I have something for you to trade with. Just let me know.

Cody

Will let you know. I need to poke a couple of guy with some bits they said they'd donate to the retro mountain ;)

Scruffie

I need to clear out some old stuff and think I might have some bits for the Amiga 500 or 1200 (had both in the 90s so can't remember which they went with) like a memory expansion etc. if that'd be of any interest.
Works at Lectric-FX

juansolo

Yeah, definitely. I may have an A500 on the way without PSU... All I really want from an A500 PSU is the cable from the brick as I'll make my own out of an old ATX supply (been doing that of late). Also I'm trying to bag an A1200 for sensible money, which is becoming difficult.

Scruffie

I've got the A500 but alas, that too is missing the PSU, it's also in the box for my 1200 which I have no idea what happened to... if I come across it somehow...

Anyway, i'll dig out what I have, definitely have a few games too if you're on the look out for anything special, some will be copies from carboots but there's some originals too albeit without boxes apart from one or two.
Works at Lectric-FX

juansolo

As with all the computers I'm doing, I'm using solid state solutions for the games. Floppies are just too unreliable now. Thankfully there's a lot of SIO and floppy replacement SD solutions. The A1200 is even better as it can run an internal HDD (or compact flash with a $5 adapter), hence that's the machine I'm trying to bag eventually. Though at the cost they are here, I'll probably just pay extra and go straight for an A4000... We'll see, that's a way off yet.

PSU's are the things that tend to not make it. I got a pair of Atari ST's. One, the PSU was toast, even after re-capping. Hence my decision to just bin that and use an brand new ATX supply. Plus that leaves me a nice gap inside to fit an internal SD HDD replacement ;)

It's all coming together slowly. I've got the Spectrum and C64 sorted. I'll have the ST sorted shortly I suspect. I've got the bits in to do the PSU, I just want to wait for the next visa bill to get the SDHDD for it as it's pricey. Once that's up and running I'll probably sell the other ST to just about pay for it.