News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Burst capacitor

Started by mjg, January 29, 2017, 10:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

I got out a finished Current Lover this morning to think about boxing it up.  I've had it sitting on the shelf in a plastic bag for about 2 weeks.

I noticed some brown liquid in the bag.  Uh oh.  Turns out one of the capacitors has bulged up on the end and is leaking. 

I'm assuming this is a bad thing.  I should replace that one huh?

The weather has been quite warm here this last few weeks, would that have done it?  Should I be checking all my other builds and stock?  Or is this just something that happens occasionally for random reasons?

Govmnt_Lacky

It could be because that cap is in backwards...  :o

Look at the build doc again. The negative should be facing AWAY from the MN3007. That is why it burst.

EDIT: I would also check all other electro caps to make sure they are installed correctly. As well as all diodes, ICs, anything that can be put in backwards. Hopefully... the ICs survived too.  ???

madbean

Good eye. Backwards. Probably the IC's are fine, but replace that cap.

mjg

Wow - good eye indeed!   :-[  (So embarrassed!)

I've desoldered it and replaced with a new one, and put it in the correct orientation this time.  But even while doing that I didn't notice that the burst one was in backwards. 

All other components double checked, they're all in correctly. 

I could blame it on my kid, as he's been helping to solder some of the pedals, but that board was all me unfortunately. 

The pedal worked fine, for what it's worth.  I'll fire it up again tomorrow and see if it still works...

Thanks for picking up on that, at least I know what caused it now!

alanp

It's worse with 4700uF caps. They smell bad.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website