News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

virgin builder - an Aristocrat named Dorothy (king of tone clone)

Started by Melonhead, August 17, 2011, 05:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melonhead

didnt take pics of the guts yet.   not too bad for a first timer, but it was a cramped build.  only made a couple of mistakes - which were easily reversible, but overall, went quite smoothly and it was FUN.  the pedal plays well and all adjustments/ trimmers work as they should.  not sure if  all trimmers are this way but, the 3 pole was orientated on the right side of the pot, so they had to be mounted on the underside of the board to match up the silkscreening on the pcb from madbean.  anyway. they work correctly so i assume this is how they were designed to be mounted.   im proud of 2 things:  the paint job, and the fact that it fired right up.  Thanks madbean, you will have more of my business soon.

Melonhead

jkokura

Great job! Pedal building is a lot of fun, and I love every bit of the process of my builds!

Also, I really like your amp. I wish I had one of those.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

Dude thats awesome!!! 8)
Epic for a first pedal build, and what a cool circuit to run thru your boogie!  Nice work ;)

druz15

gtr2

Very nice!  I love the Wizard of Oz spin off.  Welcome to the yellow brick road of pedal building.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jtn191

ha I didn't even notice the Oz reference. Pretty ambitious for a first pedal, but this one was clearly well thought out

Melonhead

hey thanks guys!  yeah the paint job was a lot of fun to do.  Testor's Laquer for model airplanes works fabulous.   i roughed up the bare metal enclosure before laying down Translucent red (which looked quite nice on it's own i must say).  the next part was a little sketchy and i wasnt sure it was gonna work but it turns out it DOES:   glitter glue!   glitter glue an even layer over the top using something to spread it evenly.   i used a foam polyurethane cheapy brush.  please note you can only spread the stuff when it's fluid.   so hurry, the second it starts to even get a little bit sticky, it starts to get "frosty" looking on the peaks and that's not what you want.  you want to maintain the clear nature of the glue base.  ANYWAY.  after all that a coat of clear laquer (testor's laquer again)  then decals, the two heavy coats of clear over that.   and voila.

thanks for the compliments on my amp.  it's just a DC-3 with a mark IV grill.  i bought it that way.  thanks for your comments!

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

Awesome! I got one of those coming up and the enclosure I'm using it very similar in color to what you have here. Definitely a great job for your first try!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Melonhead

here's a link to a video demo of the pedal.   feel free to comment on you tube.  thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qduldK68FgI

Melonhead