News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Charge Pumps at Tayda - No.

Started by madbean, January 25, 2017, 08:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've come across a few builders having issues with charge pumps they bought at Tayda in the last few months (as in they were total junk). I'd advise sticking to reliable sources for the MAX1044CPA, TC1044SCPA, LT1054 and ICL7660SCPA such as Mouser, smallbear, Digikey, and the more reliable overseas vendors. FYI.

GermanCdn

Quote from: madbean on January 25, 2017, 08:22:03 PM
I've come across a few builders having issues with charge pumps they bought at Tayda in the last few months (as in they were total junk). I'd advise sticking to reliable sources for the MAX1044CPA, TC1044SCPA, LT1054 and ICL7660SCPA such as Mouser, smallbear, Digikey, and the more reliable overseas vendors. FYI.

Sounds like the typical Tayda story.  I actually bought a bunch of pumps from them when they first came out with them in 12-13 (?) and they all worked fine.  They get the first batch of good ones to get you in the door....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

flanagan0718

I wonder if I'm in the same boat. I purchased a bunch when I first started building (2 or 3 years ago). I don't think I've used a single one...maybe I should test them somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nzCdog

I bought my last batch of 7660's through RS components, work a treat and were really cheap from memory

gordo

I haven't had any problems but probably better luck than good management.  I tend to stick with SB when it comes to this sort of thing but the pumps I've bought from Tayda have been good.  Shame that it's so hit and miss though.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

PhiloB

I had issues with charge pumps from Tayda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jules

I've had a bit of trouble with there tc1044scpa here and there. They aren't particularly cheap either. I most likely saw they weren't dirt cheap and thought 'they must be real/non faulty for that sort of coin'.  Wrong again!
I do have a max1044cpa here from Tayda that I am to use for a Mangler build, hoping for better, not confident. That Tayda feeling again.
Good advice Madbean,stay away from 'em.

Boba7

Quote from: Jules on January 26, 2017, 10:29:40 AM
I've had a bit of trouble with there tc1044scpa here and there. They aren't particularly cheap either. I most likely saw they weren't dirt cheap and thought 'they must be real/non faulty for that sort of coin'.  Wrong again!

Exactly my thought. And I ran into troubles too.

EBRAddict

I don't find Tayda's prices on charge pumps to be that great. What I've done in the past is check newark.com periodically to find when they go on sale and check arrow.com. Arrow has free shipping in the US and sometimes their prices are pretty good if you can put up with their UI.

madbean

matmosphere

Quote from: EBRAddict on January 26, 2017, 01:04:22 PM
I don't find Tayda's prices on charge pumps to be that great. What I've done in the past is check newark.com periodically to find when they go on sale and check arrow.com. Arrow has free shipping in the US and sometimes their prices are pretty good if you can put up with their UI.

The arrow ui is not fun to deal with. I didn't realize they have free shipping though. That might make it worth the headache.

mrclean77

The list of parts I feel ok getting from Tayda continues its nose dive. Soon I'll be down to like 8-pin sockets at which time I'd hafta ask, what's the point?

jkokura

Quote from: madbean on January 26, 2017, 01:25:13 PM
For US, they can be had for $0.93 each for 10 qty @ Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Microchip-Technology/TC1044SCPA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtitjHzVIkrqb%252b3sqw9QqsEawc5Q%2fV3uoE%3d

This is always what I've done. Considering the price, there's no real reason not to buy the better part from the better supplier. It's not like they're $6 each vs $.50, it's still a good deal from Mouser.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

davent

Quote from: mrclean77 on January 26, 2017, 04:00:48 PM
Soon I'll be down to like 8-pin sockets at which time I'd hafta ask, what's the point?

Sure i saw a  recent thread elsewhere warning about those too, they were looking for the good ones.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

I'm not sure the technical reason but i have experienced the following problem with charge pumps:  Using a low current charge pump (say tc1044) in a low current drawing pedal in conjunction with a higher current drawing pedal with a higher current handling charge pump (say FSH with LT1054) can cause the lower current charge pump to burn out.  I suspect perhaps the lower current handling charge pump is forced to draw the same current as the high current handling charge pump when in line???  Its happened a few times to me in the past.  Something to consider if you get one that burns out (all charge pumps were ordered from reputable dealers)
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube