Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Which buffer do you like?

Started by jimilee, January 23, 2017, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Quote from: culturejam on January 25, 2017, 04:33:27 PMWhich makes me wonder why he used so many parts to do what an op amp can do with half the parts?

I think it might be old enough to simply say "op amp chips sucked and were expensive at the time."

culturejam

Quote from: midwayfair on January 25, 2017, 06:15:06 PM
I think it might be old enough to simply say "op amp chips sucked and were expensive at the time."

I thought of that, but he didn't start selling pedals until the late 70s, and op amps had been widely available for 20 years at that point. But I guess there is a lot of value in designing around parts you are very familiar with, especially if they are cheaper.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

samhay

^
FET input op-amps (much better for high input impedance) came along in the mid-late '70s and would have been relatively expensive, so the cost argument makes some sense.
BJTs are also more tolerant of input abuse (e.g. through ESD) and as Cornish was making kit for touring musicians, he may have figured they were more likely to survive a tour of stadium rock. This is actually still a valid reason to choose a BJT as the input buffer to your pedal board.

culturejam

Quote from: samhay on January 25, 2017, 09:27:47 PM
^
FET input op-amps (much better for high input impedance) came along in the mid-late '70s and would have been relatively expensive, so the cost argument makes some sense.
BJTs are also more tolerant of input abuse (e.g. through ESD) and as Cornish was making kit for touring musicians, he may have figured they were more likely to survive a tour of stadium rock. This is actually still a valid reason to choose a BJT as the input buffer to your pedal board.

Both very good points!

jubal81

Didn't end up too awful big. 50mm X 36mm.

Now about a name?
Bottom Muscle
Iron Glutes
Lightning Eel

It's your's Jimi, name it what you want.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimilee

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

jimilee

Willybomb

Oooh, buffer with charge pump... handy.  Is the buffer in the chain regardless of bypass?

jubal81

Quote from: Willybomb on January 29, 2017, 02:46:10 AM
Oooh, buffer with charge pump... handy.  Is the buffer in the chain regardless of bypass?

Nope. The switch bypasses the buffer.
- David Fair