News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Which buffer do you like?

Started by jimilee, January 23, 2017, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Klon buffer, Cornish Buffer or JHS Little black box? I need one for bass.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

The one that kills the most unicorns for its magic.

I use the Klon one most of the time since I have the parts on hand most of the time.

Cody

287m

maybe like this?

credits to azilts/coldcraft

jkokura

Simple Op Amp buffers like the Klon buffer are fine in my experience. I prefer them over transistor versions, mostly because I understand them better.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Willybomb

Hmmm..  Probably just the klon buffer, but I've used all sorts.  I get a substantial amount to top end increase using it with some builds (Superjudge), but I haven't done any great research into the effect of different buffers on that.

Ralfg

This is a great question and got me thinking... buffer project time! I use the Unicorn Breath Klon buffer and really notice its positive effect on my signal. Never tried the Cornish buffer to see the difference.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

wgc

I like the cornish buffer, but haven't tried it on bass.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

JC103

My friend makes a pcb with both the Klon and Cornish buffers on it. You can select them with a switch. Best of both worlds. I like the Cornish for most things and use it all the time. This is exclusively with a Strat though. I do like the Klon as well and have noticed that a little more bass gets through compared to the Cornish. Therefore, Klon for bass IMHO. Of course it's all pup > gtr > amp dependent. My 2 Canadian cents worth.

culturejam

There really is no such thing as "the Klon buffer". The buffer in that circuit came straight off the op amp datasheet in the "example applications" section.

Might as well call at the National Semiconductor or Texas Instruments buffer.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Ralfg

Wait are you telling us that it's a hornless unicorn, thereby making it just a horse? But what about magic?
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

mrclean77

Quote from: culturejam on January 24, 2017, 03:11:08 PM
There really is no such thing as "the Klon buffer". The buffer in that circuit came straight off the op amp datasheet in the "example applications" section.

Might as well call at the National Semiconductor or Texas Instruments buffer.  ;D

Wow. I used to think there couldn't be new Klon developments that would out "smug" the last thing I had heard or read - I was always wrong.

This definitely adds to the list of just absurd info about that pedal/piece of gear folklore. To think about how many people go ON AND ON about the wonderful buffer in there.

selfdestroyer

But its more fun to imagine a mythical beast that gives birth to buffers.

Cody

jimilee

So then, a better question would be opamp or transistor buffer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

287m

Quote from: jimilee on January 24, 2017, 05:06:00 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i vote opamp buffer
transistor have very poor power supply noise rejection, unless youre battery guy

culturejam

Quote from: mrclean77 on January 24, 2017, 04:26:27 PM
Wow. I used to think there couldn't be new Klon developments that would out "smug" the last thing I had heard or read - I was always wrong.

I mention it in any thread where somebody references "the Klon buffer", but I don't seem to be getting any traction.  ;D

Quote from: jimilee on January 24, 2017, 05:06:00 PM

Right. Or more specifically, op amp or JFET or MosFET or BJT buffer.

BJT is, in a lot of ways, the worst of the lot, but it's also the cheapest and takes up very little space.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects