News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Multiple delays

Started by LudfisterSound, August 16, 2011, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LudfisterSound

I'm thinking of building a few delays in one box. I don't have multiple finnished delays to test right now so my question is, are multiple delays more useful in series or parallel?

jkokura

You could use a switch to go between series and parallel...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

My opinion FWIW:

For DIY stuff I wouldn't put them parallel.  I would only do parallel if you had global tap tempo for both and the ability to pick delay time per 1/8th, dotted 1/8, triplet, quarter etc...  Or it kind of gets messy.  Obviously that's not currently available....  I cascade delays in series on my gig board.  I'm running a aquaboy into a el capistan as of late.  It sounds incredible.  Personally I'd never have two delays in one box.  It would limit my options.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

cjkbug

I'd have to disagree with that one. series yields one delay having repeats of repeats witch gets really muddy,and sounds like and over effected signal. parallel, on the other hand would let you have two separate delay times that don't effect the repeats of each other. like a short slap on one delay and longer delay with more repeats, like you would here in a large auditorium. to me it sounds much more natural and less effected, especially when used with a touch of reverb. I think delay is one of those effects. that can distract from the notes. that has bee my experience with different delays in series. but if your looking for super spaced out in your face echoing, series would get you there. that's just my 2 cents.YMMV
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

gtr2

lol to each his own...  It really depends on how you have your delays cascading into one another when your running series.  I agree that it can sound over effected if things aren't set up right, but for DIY projects thats how I run em.  Getting two DIY delays to sound good in parallel is tough in a live setting without tap tempo.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

aflynt

I love my dual series wired Aquaboy build. I set one for slap back and one with the delay maxed and a few repeats. I usually just use one or the other and it's much more convenient not to have to twiddle knobs mid set. The only time I really use them together is when I crank the mix on both for a pseudo-reverse, ripping a hole in the space time continuum, sucking your brain out your eye sockets kind of sound. :) For strange effects like that, low-fi analog delays in series work great.

-Aaron

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've never tried running 2 delays in parallel. On my pedalboard I have 2 running in series and I really like the final effect. I'll set the delay times off but somewhat close and it gives me wild cascading delays effects.

Quote from: aflynt on August 17, 2011, 02:47:37 AM
he only time I really use them together is when I crank the mix on both for a pseudo-reverse, ripping a hole in the space time continuum, sucking your brain out your eye sockets kind of sound. :)

That sounds like something I really want!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

I do like my digital delays in parallel FWIW.  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Found a cool video that gives a cool demonstration on what parallel vs. series delay actually sounds like.

Jacob

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

I know this is a way old thread, but I want to do exactly this, how would you wire it?  I have a 4pdt , I have an idea of how I think I wire it, does anyone have a diagram?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zigcat

A multiplex is essentially two delay pedals combined.

jimilee

Quote from: Zigcat on January 24, 2016, 10:50:08 PM
A multiplex is essentially two delay pedals combined.
I have a couple of double delays and the sagan triple delay. I want to do this because it's there. :-D

jimilee

Anybody have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

diablochris6

Quote from: jimilee on January 27, 2016, 12:52:54 AM
Anybody have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

A guess I would have is to use a switch and one of JMK's Paralyzer boards.

I'll try to explain without resorting to drawing a picture.

On the Paralyzer board, attach Send 1 to the input of Delay 1, and attach the output of Delay 2 to Return 2 on the Paralyzer.

Get a DPDT and wire it like this:

return 1Delay 2 input
Delay 1 outputSend 2
Delay 2 inputground?

That's my guess.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here