News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Loophole with vibrato and detune mods...

Started by JakeFuzz, August 16, 2011, 05:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Wow 9 hours straight of pedal building, I don't think I am going to be building anything for a while (unless the dirtbag comes out tomorrow ;D).

Here is my loophole. Small Davies clone knobs from SB (which are pretty cheapo BTW). Anodized red finish from PPP which is by far my favorite finish from them so far. This build uses an ISD2560 recorder chip and TLC2262's. I did include the mod I posted in the modifications section. It works but with a few interesting quirks. The record section works great and it sounds exactly like the loop junky! Nice and grainy repeat.

This mod is not for the meek, it was a pain to cram into this enclosure and the wiring is just all over the place. Definitely get a roomy enclosure if you are planning this one. It adds three extra pots (Depth, Speed, Detune pitch) and a different style detune footswitch.

The mod works great BUT the ISD doesn't handle the 2.5 volt lower bound very well. I would say the best voltage drop is about 1 volt from the supply voltage. I would bump up the Vero R3 to 33k ohms; that will fix the detune. I am not quite sure how to raise the lower bound from the oscillator (anyone have any ideas?). Another quirk of the oscillator design is that the faster speeds become shallow and need a deeper bias so a little extra on tap would probably be good.

I am going to leave the values in for now but will definitely change them later.

and the "workspace" after today's pedal marathon

nzCdog

:o :o :o 8) 8) 8)
Ah that rules!  Sublime!

Great job Paul, and well done fitting it all in there!
I'd love to try your mods when I have a go at the loophole... hopefully this year ::)

Whats the toggle on the side for? True Bypass?

JakeFuzz

Quote from: nzCdog on August 16, 2011, 05:27:00 AM
:o :o :o 8) 8) 8)
Ah that rules!  Sublime!

Great job Paul, and well done fitting it all in there!
I'd love to try your mods when I have a go at the loophole... hopefully this year ::)

Whats the toggle on the side for? True Bypass?

Yeah that's a TB toggle. I figure at least half of the time I wont be using the looper but I would still like to keep it in the signal path.

jkokura

Cool Stuff man. So what's the verdict on the 2560? I got the 1020 in the mail to try, but if it's worth it I may try and find the bigger chip. Do you think the extra 40 seconds are worth the slightly funky operating?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: jkokura on August 16, 2011, 06:02:44 AM
Cool Stuff man. So what's the verdict on the 2560? I got the 1020 in the mail to try, but if it's worth it I may try and find the bigger chip. Do you think the extra 40 seconds are worth the slightly funky operating?

Jacob

Yeah the chip works great. It is the vibrato oscillator that is just very crude and quirky. The ISD2560 has a higher sampling rate so the quality is supposed to be better. It still sounds grainy and lo-fi to me, which I actually prefer.

You have to ground out pins 7 and 8 to disable some of the recording modes but other than that it is pin compatible.

About the extra time, I think it depends on what sort of looping you want to do. My looping is usually just a 3-4 chord riff or some root note lick that definitely never goes past 20 seconds but it is nice to know that I can record up to a minute if I had some weird ambient stuff to play around with.

I got a quote from utsource for these when someone mentioned it the other day and they are $18 a piece. utsource has a pretty good rep too. Heck I payed $30 for mine when it was all said and done  >:(.   

jtn191

bravo man!

Quote from: JakeFuzz on August 16, 2011, 06:13:28 AM
I got a quote from utsource for these when someone mentioned it the other day and they are $18 a piece. utsource has a pretty good rep too. Heck I payed $30 for mine when it was all said and done  >:(.   

Not quite sure what this meant...
oh ok, you got it elsewhere but it costs $18 from utsource

JakeFuzz

Quote from: jtn191 on August 16, 2011, 07:28:26 AM
Not quite sure what this meant...
oh ok, you got it elsewhere but it costs $18 from utsource

Haha, yeah I bought mine from an Italian guy on FSB. I guess taking shipping into account from UT might put it in the same price range. UT sounds like a good bet to me if anyone else wants a 2560, I don't trust those Hong Kong based ebay sellers after reading tons of fake mn3005 horror stories.

mojofilter

nice build

i'm happy to hear the 2560 works. i was thinking 20 seconds might not be enough for the kind of stuff i would want to do with it

good work!

cab_eleven

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

k.rock!

Sweeeeeeet! These look awesome Paul!

I have to agree on the anodized red on PPP. Actually I love all the anodized anything...I built an anodized blue OCD and a red anodized one a while back and loved them. I about to build 2 compressors, both in anodized red...it's a sweet finish!

Great job on the mods and all man! Sounds like it was intense! haha

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

JakeFuzz

Thanks guys! I really like those anodized colors too. Something about that flat translucent finish that makes it so cool looking. I wish they had more anodized colors. I have the blue one for my screwdriver clone. I don't think it is very hard to set up a home anodizing bath actually. Pretty sure you just need some sulfuric acid and a car battery... hmm my apartment management isn't going to be too happy with me  ;D

bigmufffuzzwizz

I love the outsides on both ;D
Can't tell what's going on inside, it'd probably be easier if you just show me someday haha
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Om_Audio

Paul--> builds bad ass pedals, has wicked licks, and can't focus a camera!
;D
I am def going to be building a loophole- but most certainly without all the mods- prob just TB switch
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

JakeFuzz

Haha, true that! My old phone camera was so horrible! I look back at these pictures and laugh, so freaking blurry. How could that pass LG's beta testing?

The loophole was fun stuff. This was one of those builds though that made me take a little break. Too much wiring and fitting and testing. I agree, I would wait to see what Bean includes in the next loophole version. The mod works beautifully but the wiring is just a huge PITA. TB switch is pretty easy and I leave it in that mode most of the time.