News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY delay with TC2290 modulation?

Started by Philthy, January 12, 2017, 06:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philthy

Hi Guys,

I have a DD20 that I use for its modulated delay setting. I love the sound (particularly in stereo) but it's a big pedal that has an average bypass on it. The TT is also finicky.

I once saved some text I found on the interwebz that talked about how the DD20 modulated delay worked. Apparently the humble DD20 modulates similar to the TC2290 - which I have never played. I cannot vouch for what the guy said, but geez he sounded as thought he knew what her was talking about. ;). Here it is....

The Boss DD-20 on Modulate mode actually comes closer to the sound of a 2290 than any of the recent TC pedals, mostly because of the way the modulation was implemented. In the 2290, the delay times actually modulates (moves back and forth a certain number of milliseconds), producing pitch shifting in the process that feeds back on itself in unpredictable ways, creating more pitch shifting upon feedback, etc. It's a great sound, and all the "mod delay" players like the Edge are known for this. However, all the pedals (deleted) has made recently............ have a non-modulated delay running through a stereo chorus or a stereo vibrato, which is a different kind of sound that doesn't change dynamically nearly as much. The DD-20 though uses the same modulated delay line scheme as the 2290, twice! One sweeps forward in time on the left while the right is sweeping backward, always in opposite phase of each other. It's much more closer in spirit--and sound--to the 2290 than anything (deleted) has put out.

So my question is, are there any DIY delays that utilise this type of modulation?

A DIY pristine digital delay with tap tempo, this type of modulation and stereo outputs would be a winner IMO.

HamSandwich

I don't know how a lot of the programmed production delays operate, but most, if not all, of the DIY delays with modulation operate how you posted. See any PT2399 based with modulation. Running a delay through a chorus would be so many more parts.

Pristine digital delays are becoming more prevalent. The FV-1 is around if you can program. Electric Druid just released a 4 second tap tempo clean delay that you could try to modulate.

Philthy

thanks for the reply and the reference to the Electric Druid 4 sec delay - looks awesome.

So you think one of these with say a TAPLFO would get me close?

culturejam

Quote from: HamSandwich on January 12, 2017, 07:25:40 AM
I don't know how a lot of the programmed production delays operate, but most, if not all, of the DIY delays with modulation operate how you posted. See any PT2399 based with modulation.

Yes, indeed. Just about all the DIY delays with modulation achieve the effect through, uh, modulation of the delay time. Chorus, Vibrato, and Flanger do as well. And phaser, too, as the phase shifting does cause a very slight delay between the wet and dry.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

cloudscapes

The quoted paragraph doesn't really supply any information. It's not describing anything specific or technical, just general delay time modulation. You could literally replace all instances of "2290" in that paragraph with the name of any other delay that has time modulation and it would be just as true.  Not saying all modulated delays sound the same (they definitely do not), just that the author doesn't supply any relevant info that would be useful in recreating it. ;)

It sounds more like to me that the author is just a fan of the 2290, and references it as "standard modulated delay" when it needs to be talked about.

Modulation can vary in many ways to give it a particular sound. What kind of filters are in the delay line? What shape is the modulation's LFO, is it sine, triangle, something else? Is the LFO itself modulated, etc. Is there any filtering on the LFO to have it change as you scale the rate?