News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Vintage Musicial Instruments Thread

Started by Timko, January 10, 2017, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

I've got this sitting in my garage right now:

Bought new in the mid-late 60s by my parents (for my accordion lessons, ugh).
I haven't messed with it for about 5 years.
Several of the pots are garbage though.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

matmosphere

Quote from: electrosonic on August 09, 2021, 09:06:23 PM
It's a great guitar - amazing tone. It was considered a "student model" when it was made. The body is a slab, no contouring like the higher end models of the day. The fret board radius is a lot bigger than a Fender, it takes a little more effort to play. That's the original (or I guess period correct) case too, it came with it.  I noticed on Reverb that those old Lifton cases go for a lot of money too. A friend of mine bought it in Montana somewhere in the late 80s. I'll have to ask him how much he paid for it - great guy - he let me take it and  let me pay in instalments (vintage gear was much cheaper pre internet).

I bought the Telecaster Deluxe at the same time. I actually lent the Telecaster back to the seller (he is one of my oldest friends) and he had it for about ten years - that guitar has travelled more than me from Montana to  Europe, Montreal and Japan - I think it might have been used on a Godspeed you Black Emperor album - I'll have to confirm that.

Two more - mid 70s Fender short scale bass and 70s (?) Hagstrom II.

I saw Nels Cline play an identical Hagstrom II many years ago with the Geraldine Fibbers.

Andrew.

Very cool stuff, but that tele.... man that's one I would just love to have one day. I had seen someone playing a 70's Tele deluxe and really wanted one. my first guitar ended up being a '92 Tele standard, only because the music store I went to didn't have one of the old Deluxe's. That Tele is still easily the best guitar I own.

jimilee

It's a great guitar - amazing tone. It was considered a "student model" when it was made. The body is a slab, no contouring like the higher end models of the day. The fret board radius is a lot bigger than a Fender, it takes a little more effort to play. That's the original (or I guess period correct) case too, it came with it.  I noticed on Reverb that those old Lifton cases go for a lot of money too. A friend of mine bought it in Montana somewhere in the late 80s. I'll have to ask him how much he paid for it - great guy - he let me take it and  let me pay in instalments (vintage gear was much cheaper pre internet).

I bought the Telecaster Deluxe at the same time. I actually lent the Telecaster back to the seller (he is one of my oldest friends) and he had it for about ten years - that guitar has travelled more than me from Montana to  Europe, Montreal and Japan - I think it might have been used on a Godspeed you Black Emperor album - I'll have to confirm that.

I saw Nels Cline play an identical Hagstrom II many years ago with the Geraldine Fibbers.

Andrew.
Been keeping my eye out for one of those basses. Lots of good memories as a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: jimilee on August 09, 2021, 09:59:45 PM

Andrew.
Been keeping my eye out for one of those basses. Lots of good memories as a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Squier Bronco bass will get you pretty close for like $150

pickdropper

Andrew.

My student model Gibson is a '54 LG-1 acoustic that was found at a local resale shop.  When I turned it upside down, three of the braces fell out.  ;-)

A well-respected local luthier glued them back in, sealed a crack in the top and it's making music again.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on August 10, 2021, 03:12:21 AM

Andrew.

My student model Gibson is a '54 LG-1 acoustic that was found at a local resale shop.  When I turned it upside down, three of the braces fell out.  ;-)

A well-respected local luthier glued them back in, sealed a crack in the top and it's making music again.

Damn, that's another one that's like a dream guitar.

sofomon

Vintage string instruments, are in great demand!