News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2 or 3 in 1 pedal build suggestions please

Started by Philthy, January 05, 2017, 09:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philthy

After my recent duplex drive + afterlife build I'm keen to do another combo build.
Hit me up with some suggestions.

culturejam

Some kind of delay + some kind of reverb.

OR

Some kind of tremolo + some kind of reverb
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jubal81

What CJ said....

Highly recommend a Cardinal tremolo with reverb. Very sweet combo.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

flanagan0718

Fuzz - order switcher - verb. you won't be disappointed!

sonnyboy27

Quote from: jubal81 on January 05, 2017, 09:35:03 PM
What CJ said....

Which order do you prefer it in?

jubal81

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on January 05, 2017, 10:10:26 PM
What CJ said....

Which order do you prefer it in?

I'd go Cardinal first.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Aleph Null

selfdestroyer

Philthy

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Some questions:
1. Is the tap tempo cardinal PCB commercially available?
2. What reverb would you recommend with it?
3. Are there any reverb pcbs, or standalone pcbs for that matter, that have a shimmer/octave effect?
Cheers

Willybomb

juansolo

Ones that work the best IMO are ones where any or all the effects can be used in conjunction with each other to do something interesting. My favourite two would be a modulation box with a delay > phaser > reverb (adding a fuzz to the front can work well if going for 4 effects), and a box of ooomph where you take a compressor > OD > boost (adding a gate in there after the OD can make life really interesting also). They're the useful multis that I like the most.

Other styles are multiple OD's, fuzzes or distortions in a box. Mainly these are just to save space though and don't really have a purpose. Sometimes these can be quite satisfying, but I prefer ones where the effects can stack with each other.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Juan's Space Ritual combo setup works pretty well.

Ultrastoner -> Delay -> Phaser -> Reverb
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rumbletone

What CJ said....

I just finished rub-a-dub deluxe into cardinal trem - sounds killer, and went straight onto my gigging board (it's in the loop, after delay and before my lead boost). It was a tight fit into a 1590bb with optical switching and unique jack placement, but with a bit of grinding inside the enclosure I got everything to fit. :-)

rumbletone

Re order for trem and verb combo, I would have put an order flipper but there was room. For fixed order, I prefer reverb first since that is how it was if you plugged a Fender Tube Reverb into an amp with trem, and also it allows (if desired) super choppy/deep trem even with verb on. If I want the reverb to not completely cut out with the trem, I either set the trem less deep or use 'harmonic trem' mode.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Philthy on January 06, 2017, 09:13:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Some questions:
1. Is the tap tempo cardinal PCB commercially available?
2. What reverb would you recommend with it?
3. Are there any reverb pcbs, or standalone pcbs for that matter, that have a shimmer/octave effect?
Cheers

1. Nope! It was a small run done by Jon, However I think I have an extra board I might be willing to sell. I'd have to check.

2. IMO anytime you can use a Moodring or Chasm, do it!

3. Not sure about octave but you can get shimmery like sounds with the boards I mentioned.