News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Which distortion circuit to build? : high gain, tight, face melting

Started by Beedoola, August 14, 2011, 06:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I built Slow loris, and though it's an awesome circuit, I want something a little tighter. What would you suggest? I was looking into the Riot or Dr. Boogie..

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

J0K3RX

Quote from: Beedoola on August 14, 2011, 06:14:34 PM
I built Slow loris, and though it's an awesome circuit, I want something a little tighter. What would you suggest? I was looking into the Riot or Dr. Boogie..

I built the Dr. Boogie or "Chunk Chunk" it has tons of gain and can be very tight (great for metal) depending on the settings... Excellent all around disto box! I actually use it direct into the PC usb interface with some cab impulses and "holy mother of metal" it sounds good! You wouldn't guest that it wasn't a real boogie... I wouldn't say it has the tone of a Mark IIC+ but it does all the rest.. I am having some trouble with the Uproar but if I get it going I will probably have to go with that since that is more my kinda tone... If I can only work the bugs outa mine I will be all set! The Chunk Chunk is a harder build but for some reason it was easier to get up and running than the Uproar..? Can't go wrong with the Dr. Boogie in my opinion...

Beedoola

Quote from: jkokura on August 14, 2011, 06:47:29 PM
The BSIAB is also a candidate.

Jacob

not looking for a brown sound, though now come to think of it; is the Riot

Quote from: J0K3RX on August 14, 2011, 07:14:24 PM
Quote from: Beedoola on August 14, 2011, 06:14:34 PM

I built the Dr. Boogie or "Chunk Chunk" it has tons of gain and can be very tight (great for metal) depending on the settings... Excellent all around disto box! I actually use it direct into the PC usb interface with some cab impulses and "holy mother of metal" it sounds good! You wouldn't guest that it wasn't a real boogie... I wouldn't say it has the tone of a Mark IIC+ but it does all the rest.. I am having some trouble with the Uproar but if I get it going I will probably have to go with that since that is more my kinda tone... If I can only work the bugs outa mine I will be all set! The Chunk Chunk is a harder build but for some reason it was easier to get up and running than the Uproar..? Can't go wrong with the Dr. Boogie in my opinion...

How is the low end on the Boogie; tight? Have you used the circuit through a loud, clean amp?

Thanks y'all!

LaceSensor

Id try a Dr Boogie or one of the variants.
I built one and it does what it says on the tin.

This is played through a Blackstar Artisan (low wattage but loud).