News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New PUD

Started by madbean, January 01, 2017, 01:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

New Pickups Day

I received a set of SD Phat Cat P90s for Christmas and finally got a chance to install them in my SGJ. I've wanted a P90 SG for a long time, but I definitely did not want a second SG. So, in these went. The stock wiring on the SGJ is PCB mounted which I removed that and replaced it with CTS 500k pots and 22n Orange Drop tone caps.

I really love the neck pup. It's got a great balance, plenty fat enough but not muddy like the stock humbucker that came with the guitar. I am less sure about the bridge, though. It's got great bite but it feels a little thin on the bass to my ears. I've got the bridge pup set pretty darn close to the strings which helped a lot. I just need to spend more time with it, I think. Middle position works really well, though.

One thing's for sure: they look badass! The body finish was fading a bit so I also applied some Feed N Wax to it. Brought the luster right back.

stringsthings

Very nice.   I don't have any P90's in my guitars and I'm really interested to try them.
All You Need Is Love

selfdestroyer

Ralfg

I've been playing my Epi Gold Top with P90s a lot lately, I swapped the stock ones out for some Nordstrand pups and wow what a difference that made.  Have you considered adjusting the bass side poles to get get them a bit closer?  Might help a bit.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

slimtriggers

I have Phat Cats in my Gibson Sonex. I've been pretty happy with them other than they're much noisier than humbuckers, obviously.  8)

raulduke

Nice!

I have that SG (or very similar at least) and have also put HB size P90's in mine.

My feelings are the same as yours; neck sounds glorious, bridge not quite to outstanding.

I'm tempted to put a HB back in the bridge position of mine.

culturejam

P90 neck / humbucker bridge is a great combo. I think it's not done so often because of the "unbalanced" aesthetics.

The bucker-sized P90s are a great solution, though.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

nzCdog

Rawk!  P90s sound awesome, those Phat Cats look awesome too