News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rustbucket questions

Started by matmosphere, December 15, 2016, 03:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm really digging  the rustbucket but I'm trying to figure out how to get consistent results from it. I've only tried it on a guitar with a low output humbucker. I'm wondering how much pickups play into triggering the envelope, because right now I'm getting a very small window between no triggering and a scratchy mess.

Any advice guys.

thesmokingman

every youtube video I see demoing the attack decay says "you have to change your playing style to use this"
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

lars

Quote from: thesmokingman on December 15, 2016, 04:50:45 PM
every youtube video I see demoing the attack decay says "you have to change your playing style to use this"
I second that statement.
I think the problem is the EHX attack decay circuit was originally designed way too complex for what it is supposed to do. All that extra circuitry just mucks up the performance and adds noise.
The Boss slow gear is a much more simple circuit (only one IC), and does pretty much the exact same thing. In fact, I think the SG-1 is polyphonic, so it can handle chords, whereas the attack decay is limited to single notes. In other words, there's not really anything you can do to improve it's performance. It's glitchy and inconsistent by design, that's why it was discontinued pretty fast.

cajone5

In for more opinions on this.  Really wanted to build a rustbucket but if a slow gear would be better for this effect, I'm all for the simpler build.

jimilee

Just in case, I just ordered some slow gear pcbs from osh park, I will have 2 extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

after playing with it some more I want to see how throwing a comp in front of it influences the sound. It's a far more complex pedal to dial in than I thought it would be. Sounds cool though, can't wait to get some delay going after it.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on December 17, 2016, 12:36:01 AM
Just in case, I just ordered some slow gear pcbs from osh park, I will have 2 extra.

PM'd re: slow gear PCBs!

jimilee

PM'd back.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cajone5

matmosphere

I had a chance to try it with a compressor in front. It was much more consistent and easy to use. Bear Hug > Rustbucket > multiplex = spacey goodness.

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 23, 2016, 02:34:00 PM
I had a chance to try it with a compressor in front. It was much more consistent and easy to use. Bear Hug > Rustbucket > multiplex = spacey goodness.
Awesome, thats a great idea, I'm going to try that with my slow gear.