News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nothing labeled from Smallbear?

Started by ferrinbonn, November 26, 2016, 04:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

I've not had a problem with the packaging from Smallbear.  In fact, I've never even noticed it if it was labeled or not.
I tend to order odd stuff from them that I can't get anywhere else so the orders are never large like some of my Mouser orders.
I rely on SB for the hard to get stuff.  My last order included several rolls of excellent hookup wire.   I respect Steve a lot because he's really one of us. 
One of these days, I'm going to build his bear tremelo.  I still remember reading the DIY article he published a long time ago before the big pedal DIY scene was around.

Haven't tried Allied.  Might have to give them a shot.
All You Need Is Love

alanp

My strong suspicion (based on no evidence) is that Tayda have a label printer with a few dozen rolls of those little square labels, and when they get an order, they print out all the labels for that order at once, and use that as an inventory while pulling the order (and putting them on the bags as they pack.) Once the printout has no labels left on it, the order is done.

At that scale, that's probably how I'd do it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peAk

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on November 26, 2016, 07:06:52 PM
When I ordered multiple types of LDR from them, I added a note in the order to please label the bags for those parts, since sorting LDR's is a PITA.

They did. If you don't ask, you don't know.

This is what I do, too, though I can recognize most of them at this point without labels.

I really don't see the need for labeling caps, resistors, and transistors, though. You're all still going to check the codes on the parts themselves before using them or putting them in the box to make sure that they are what the label says they are, right? Right?  ???

peAk

Quote from: midwayfair on November 28, 2016, 02:51:14 PM
You're all still going to check the codes on the parts themselves before using them or putting them in the box to make sure that they are what the label says they are, right? Right?  ???

If I am being 100% honest  :-[ , I have never checked the codes on resistors before stuffing. I have never had Mouser send me resistors that were labeled wrong so I guess I have gotten comfortable being lazy. I have, however, checked resistors codes when I have had to troubleshoot. That said, never found a wrong value before.

EBRAddict

Quote from: peAk on November 28, 2016, 07:44:43 PM

If I am being 100% honest  :-[ , I have never checked the codes on resistors before stuffing. I have never had Mouser send me resistors that were labeled wrong so I guess I have gotten comfortable being lazy.

I have had them send me incorrectly labeled resistors. Once in a few dozen orders. I usually don't get through hole resistors from them because they are expensive. Only when I need some odd-ball size, tolerance or power rating.

They once missed a single capacitor from an order, I emailed them and they sent a replacement out next day air, first delivery.

matmosphere

The thing about smallbear is that even though they don't label everything, they don't ship the fastest, and their prices aren't always the lowest, they offer pedal builders a service we don't necessarily get elsewhere. They always have the more specialized parts, they only sell good quality components, and they pay attention to the community. Those things alone make them worth supporting even if everything else isn't exactly how we want it to be.

I don't order from them to often but im glad they're around when I need them.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Frank_NH

I think the reason people are getting bent out of shape is because when you finally open the package of parts five months after they've arrived and have totally forgotten what project you ordered those parts for, labels make it easier to remember what that project was... ;D

BTW - just ordered from Smallbear, great service as usual.   When my package arrives, I'll see if they labeled the green 1590BB enclosure I ordered...  ::)