News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nothing labeled from Smallbear?

Started by ferrinbonn, November 26, 2016, 04:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

When I ordered multiple types of LDR from them, I added a note in the order to please label the bags for those parts, since sorting LDR's is a PITA.

They did. If you don't ask, you don't know.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

thesameage

They don't label. They are in my hood, so I always order from them but it always takes some time to sort.

gordo

I order from Steve all the time and although the parts are rarely labeled (just weird stuff that could get mixed up) I seem to recall that everything is bagged separately.  So if I get 10 5088's and 10 5087's it's just a matter of reading a part number off the transistor and the whole bag is one or the other.  I measure all resistors as I stuff a board to avoid screwups on my part (most likely) or bad parts (least likely) so I'll read the color code and file them accordingly till I use them.

I do like having printed labels like Mouser and Tayda, but to be honest it's not a game changer and I've really had such great service from SB since he's started that it's a non-issue with me.  Yeah, he could tie a Zebra printer with label stock into his ordering system like the big boys but I'd prefer he doesn't pass those costs on to me.

Granted, I'm heavily biased in SB's favor.  He has to be one of the hardest working guys in the biz.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

Not labelling keeps costs lower. Everybody would bitch if the parts pricing went up enough to cover the labor.

Also, why the hell are you guys buying resistors onesy-twosey from Smallbear? They have the Xicon 200 bags for pretty cheap, and those are labelled.

Put your big-boy pants on and buy some quantity, for fuck's sake.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

flanagan0718

Quote from: culturejam on November 27, 2016, 01:59:25 AM
Put your big-boy pants on and buy some quantity, for fuck's sake.  ;D

HAHA! I love me some unfiltered Forrest!

madbean

Forrest has been in the sauce I think!

culturejam

Nah, I'm 1 beer in. I'm just an "old guy" now in the DIY scene, so I'm naturally inclined to get ornery at almost everything. :)

dont-tase-me-bro

I order small bear all the time, but I like having all my standard items in bulk from mouser.   They're labeled and in the same size bag, so they are easily filed in ascending order
I thought this would save me money.

jimilee

He's a dad now too. He'll be yelling at those damn kids on his lawn before too long. Also, yeah, why are you buying anything onesie twosie????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: alparent on November 26, 2016, 12:32:53 PM
Yes this is very annoying. I've ordered specific photocells from them for some projects. But they sent them in unidentified bags! do you know how hard it is to sort photocells!
Next time I will insist they label at least these kinda parts. Hopefully they will.

For resistors and caps, it's not a huge deal (to me) but for photocells, yeah, they should probably label them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

Get the xicons while you can...there are now tripled in price....
I bought a bunch of stock from SB in the last week as he will no longer be carrying them and mouser is now $10 for 200qty
Gone are the $4/200 days...even the other brands have upped the $

Just because Tayda may be labeled does not mean you should trust that is whats in the bag...
Always check...if you decide to use them...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

chromesphere

I probably have a bit of experience here so, here goes!

Labelling takes as long as packing.  Its very Labor intensive and doubles the packing time for orders.  I still do this though because, from someone that also orders from other suppliers, its tedious having to measure / read colour bands and codes etc and makes organising all your stuff a lot easier and quicker.

With that said and on the flip side, as reciprocal curtesy to the retailer (and as forest pointed out), you should consider ordering larger quantities of each part instead of ones twos or even 5's for low value components.  Its quite frustrating packing these types of orders and can take an hour of packing 5 resistors of each value into each bag.  I would go as far as saying that retailers make a loss on these orders (at least I do), they are incredibly time consuming.

Just some things to consider.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

selfdestroyer

Quote from: gtr2 on November 27, 2016, 05:33:12 PM
Just because Tayda may be labeled does not mean you should trust that is whats in the bag...
Always check...if you decide to use them...

Josh

So true.. So true

Cody

culturejam

I bought a bunch of stock from SB in the last week as he will no longer be carrying them and mouser is now $10 for 200qty

Check out Allied Electronics for resistors. They've always been the cheapest:
http://www.alliedelec.com/rcd-components-gp55-1002-ftw/70183651/

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on November 28, 2016, 03:20:34 AM

Check out Allied Electronics for resistors. They've always been the cheapest:
http://www.alliedelec.com/rcd-components-gp55-1002-ftw/70183651/

Yep, and the quality is good as well.  Not super thin leads.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper