News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quick Multimeter Trick for Measuring Small Capacitors

Started by FuzzTony, October 21, 2016, 06:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuzzTony

Hi folks, thought I'd share something I just discovered.

I wanted to verify the values of some Tayda ceramic caps (10pF - 100pF range)  but my multimeter is not very accurate in that range.  47pFs were measuring at about 20p.  1nF and higher it has no problem and is accurate.

I thought about ordering a dedicated Capacitance Meter, but then I discovered a little trick.

I got accurate results for those small values by testing them in parallel with a box cap around 1nF. 

Easiest for my setup is to use a breadboard with a 1nF cap across the multimeter leads, and then hit the "relative" button to zero it out.  I can then plug & unplug my little ceramics into the breadboard to my heart's content, and am getting accurate measurements.  Try it!

I just wanted to share this because I did not find any such suggestion in my online searching, only references to the unreliability of most multimeters in this low range.  The DIY solutions I did find were quite complex.  Cheers!

culturejam

That's a neat trick. I don't think any of my meters have a "zero" function, however. So I think you could get the same result by measuring the 1n cap first and then adding the other cap in parallel to see the change.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Yep, good advice.  I need to use the relative function on my Fluke 8 IV to get reasonable measurements of low value caps.  It's not as good as an LCR meter, but it is good enough to get by.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper