News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New TC Electronics budget pedals

Started by somnif, October 21, 2016, 10:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

So, TC Elec did a facebook reveal of 13 new pedals today. All are 50$ (or 50 euros). Metal cases, true bypass, the usual kit. But some of these pedals, I have no idea how they can sell at that price point and keep a profit. BBD Flanger, BBD delay, BBD chorus.... I guess Xvive must be pumping their chips out for them to be able to price that low.

I'm rather interested in the digital delay myself (Would be nice to have a DD that doesn't have a 2399 in its guts). They have a 3 algorithm reverb too which is pretty interesting.

Anyone else curious about these things? I'd like to feel one in hand to see how sturdy the bent metal case is, but for the price a few of them are pretty tempting.  http://www.tcelectronic.com/smorgasbord-of-tones/

Leevibe

Geez. The TC onslaught never lets up. They're going to sell a bazillion of those I bet.

What's up with Tor? I seem to remember him being really clean-cut looking in their old video demos. I think he gets a little edgier with every new pedal release.

sonnyboy27

TC just keeps releasing more and more crazy stuff. As long as the manufacturing hasn't taken a hit, the Behringer purchase seems to be freeing them up a lot to create.

daleykd

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on October 21, 2016, 03:01:33 PM
TC just keeps releasing more and more crazy stuff. As long as the manufacturing hasn't taken a hit, the Behringer purchase seems to be freeing them up a lot to create.
Tell me about this Behringer purchase?  I must be out of the loop.

raulduke

Behringer bought TC Electronic (and a load of other music tech companies).

Behringer's new analogue synth has TC Electronics FX/Algorithms built in.

I think these look great. They have a DOD like look to them (which I love).

I'll no doubt pickup the delay and vibrato. The reverb looks quite tempting too.

All good as far as I'm concerned  8)

jposega

Very cool. If they could do a tuner with top jacks, that would complete the whole collection nicely.

somnif

The analog delay lists a 300ms max delay time, so I'm guessing that means it has a single 3005 in its guts? I'm curious if the circuit is original or based on one of the classics (aqua puss? DM2? AD-80?).

But man, this thing would be 100$ cheaper than any of those. Those crazy Danes are performing voodoo here.

Muadzin

All pedals with top mounts? That tickles my OCD just right. If I were still playing with pedals I'd so get me the flanger, vibrato and phaser.

somnif

Apparently these will be assembled/manufactured in China. That certainly helps explain the price point a bit. Argh I really want one in hand so I can poke and prod at it  :'(

thesameage

Yep. I'm working at a boutique guitar company right now and one of our artists is a TC endorser. He said that the Behringer purchase gives them access to manufacturing that cuts their costs by 40%!

mattc

These are tweaked Beheringer pedals in metal cases.  I was really interested until I read those details.

jubal81

Not at all impressed with the demos. They look great, though.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Muadzin

Quote from: mattc on October 26, 2016, 04:30:44 PM
These are tweaked Beheringer pedals in metal cases.  I was really interested until I read those details.

That by itself ain't that bad. Since Behringer offers a lot of clones from existing famous pedals. The shoddy plastic housings on the other hand was one of the big drawbacks that kept me from buying some of those pedals. If I'm going on the road with some pedals I don't want pedals that I'm afraid to stomp on because they look so flimsy.

drolo

Quote from: somnif on October 23, 2016, 06:50:29 PM
Apparently these will be assembled/manufactured in China. That certainly helps explain the price point a bit.
Aren't all TC pedals made in China ?

Leevibe

Quote from: drolo on October 27, 2016, 01:15:10 PM
Quote from: somnif on October 23, 2016, 06:50:29 PM
Apparently these will be assembled/manufactured in China. That certainly helps explain the price point a bit.
Aren't all TC pedals made in China ?

There's not much these days that isn't made in China. As long as they're made in a good facility that has good oversight, I wouldn't have any worries about it. I'm sure TC stuff is already being made there. The only quality issue I'm aware of with their stompboxes is that they have had problems with the stomp switches in their toneprint type stuff. No surprise there. I would think these would be similar in terms of ruggedness.