News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Oscilloscope Day!

Started by jubal81, October 20, 2016, 06:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

Very nice unit. 4 channels!

Not to highjack this thread, but I also have a 2 channel scope, but don't really know how to use it as a pedal building tool.
It would be nice to have thread or "how to" on using this tool in pedal building.
I'm French.......sorry for my bad Englishhhhhhh.

culturejam

Quote from: alparent on October 28, 2016, 05:32:56 PM
It would be nice to have thread or "how to" on using this tool in pedal building.

Every time this request gets posted, one of two things happens:
1) Crickets.
2) Somebody says, "Oh it's easy to explain, I'll put something together"... and then it never happens.

There seem to be a lot of guys here who know how to use o-scopes, but nobody that I've seen can or will explain the process to fellow hobbyists. Surely someone can offer a methodology that is useful for pedal circuit applications.

There are plenty of guides out there, but none that are in the context of circuit testing for pedal effects. 

I've used my scope a few times to dial in an analog delay, but it was with help from another builder and I frankly didn't totally understand why I was doing what I was doing. I have since forgotten the test procedure.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Leevibe

Quote from: culturejam on November 03, 2016, 12:16:50 PM
Quote from: alparent on October 28, 2016, 05:32:56 PM

Every time this request gets posted, one of two things happens:
1) Crickets.
2) Somebody says, "Oh it's easy to explain, I'll put something together"... and then it never happens.

There seem to be a lot of guys here who know how to use o-scopes, but nobody that I've seen can or will explain the process to fellow hobbyists. Surely someone can offer a methodology that is useful for pedal circuit applications.

There are plenty of guides out there, but none that are in the context of circuit testing for pedal effects. 

I've used my scope a few times to dial in an analog delay, but it was with help from another builder and I frankly didn't totally understand why I was doing what I was doing. I have since forgotten the test procedure.

I agree. Let's get this rolling. I've actually been able to figure some stuff out about my little scope, and I was able to see my guitar signal with it. That was pretty cool. It tells me that I should be able to run a test tone into it and see how different diodes clip. That will be fun to do, but I know there's much more to usefulness in there.

I've watched some youtubes that have helped me understand some of the basics, but I agree that something that is tailored to fx building would be really cool. I remember when stomptown linked me to Jacob's Eagle tutorial series. I was already using Eagle, but it really propelled me forward to have fx specific info.

alparent

Glad to see I'm not the only one in this situation.

This is not the first time or forum I've ask for this guidance, but like Leevibe said........Crickets.

And these crickets get everywhere, they even show up in my conversations with my wife when she asks "So......how is this new oscilloscope making your pedals better?!" :-\ My answer ....... Crickets  :'(

alanp

A "this is the basics for guitar pedals" video I could vaguely plan out, but my actual abilities at doing this is below zero.

I'm thinking a permanent subwindow in the top right corner showing the scope at all times, with the video-maker showing how you probe through a chorus or flanger or something, and what signals you'd roughly expect.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

I think something simple would be best.

For example:

1) To view/measure LFO performance, set your scope to XYZ setting and attach a probe to ABC part of circuit.
2) To dial in an analog delay, set your scope to XYZ sensitivity, attach one probe to BBD output, and the other to a function generator set to XXX Khz.

And the like.

Aristatertotle

Just a thought, but does someone in the diy synth community have some kind of tutorial? I don't have any experience with a scope (want one!), but from what I've seen in synth projects I've been researching, I'd think it's probably the same skill set for diagnosing for both.

P.S. - I'm always jealous of people with scopes. Sure it can be used for circuit diagnosis, but who doesn't want to hoop a mic up to one and see what the waveform of a fart looks like?

alparent

I think I ear them crickets again :'(

Leevibe

Quote from: alparent on November 10, 2016, 07:18:40 PM
I think I ear them crickets again :'(

I've found in this hobby that a lot of knowledge was easy to get, and a lot of it I just had to figure out on my own.

alanp

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvOlSehNtuHsCTtj-T_vkpTTbBXW4sB51

Here are some o'scope videos from That Crazy Aussie Bloke (but aren't all aussies at least mildly crazy? ;) )
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Quote from: alanp on November 11, 2016, 03:06:45 AM

Here are some o'scope videos from That Crazy Aussie Bloke (but aren't all aussies at least mildly crazy? ;) )

EEVblog is great. I have learned a lot from him. Also, he is a great resource for Chinese knock off electronics since he dismantles and reviews it.

Cody

Leevibe

Quote from: selfdestroyer on November 11, 2016, 07:40:52 PM
Quote from: alanp on November 11, 2016, 03:06:45 AM

EEVblog is great. I have learned a lot from him. Also, he is a great resource for Chinese knock off electronics since he dismantles and reviews it.

Cody

+1

And he's entertaining

culturejam

Alright, lads. I got a Rigol DS1 102E for my birthday. And a function generator coming my way very soon.

Gonna get this shite sorted oot, good n' proper, like.  ;D

galaxiex

Quote from: culturejam on December 11, 2016, 03:55:18 AM
Alright, lads. I got a Rigol DS1 102E for my birthday. And a function generator coming my way very soon.

Gonna get this shite sorted oot, good n' proper, like.  ;D

Raisin ay pint aye ye mate.  ;)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

stringsthings

me am jealous of scope owners.   :D
All You Need Is Love