News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PPP price increases

Started by jball85, October 10, 2016, 09:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jball85

I should've ordered multiple painted enclosures last time I shopped there, ouch.

Bret608

Well, on the bright side, the new drilling set-up charge has finally given me the impetus to learn how to drill my own enclosures!

disorder

The paint charges alone are motivation enough to learn how to do backyard powdercoating.  :o

midwayfair

The single coat paint charges are absurd. PPP was undercharging but there's no way I'm ordering black or white enclosures from them anymore (I'll get them from Smallbear), and that's at least half my enclosures for white alone. $20 for a white 1590b enclosure isn't competitive with anywhere so they need to fix that or they're going to be under new management gain really soon.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

I'm wondering if they are transitioning to just supporting the boutique medium volume builders and not worrying as much about DIYers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

Potentially, but they were already higher before the price hike than other sources for a run of 100 quote.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

Quote from: gtr2 on October 12, 2016, 01:34:51 AM
Potentially, but they were already higher before the price hike than other sources for a run of 100 quote.

I may try Mammoth again for some personal builds, but I had a lot of problems with their quality in the past. 
Function f(x)

jkokura

I gotta say, as a long time PPP supporter over other suppliers, I'm a bit disappointed. I haven't spoken to the new management, but Connie and I were on first name basis, and I was always treated very well by them.

Hopefully they work things out, but chances are high they aren't seeing or hearing about our disappointment. Perhaps the best course would be to send them messages and simply ask them if they wouldn't mind either explaining what's up, or considering moving back towards the DIY community support PPP has had in the past.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on October 12, 2016, 03:48:43 PM
I gotta say, as a long time PPP supporter over other suppliers, I'm a bit disappointed. I haven't spoken to the new management, but Connie and I were on first name basis, and I was always treated very well by them.

Hopefully they work things out, but chances are high they aren't seeing or hearing about our disappointment. Perhaps the best course would be to send them messages and simply ask them if they wouldn't mind either explaining what's up, or considering moving back towards the DIY community support PPP has had in the past.

Jacob

They talked about it a little bit in the DIY stompboxes post above. 

"At the time the company was purchased we were advised to discontinue one-off work because it was not profitable, we elected to continue to offer this service but it will come with a price increase. I know that this is not what our customers want to hear but it is the only way we can continue to accept orders of less that 10. For those who order 20 and more you will find very little change."
Function f(x)

playpunk

I'm not surprised- in my business I only do work I can get paid for.

It is a bit of a bummer. It wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing more group enclosure buys crop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

raulduke

Fair does to them, they have to make a profit after all.

I remember a while ago there was a bit more of a fad for DIY powder coating (with some really good tutorials knocking about here).

From memory a simple setup didn't look too expensive, so that may be the way to go.

jkokura

I didn't catch that Dave, thanks.

I think that if you really want the best, it may still be from PPP. But considering the price increase, I think we'll see a lot more users move to using Mammoth, Tayda, or backyardigans who do it for a few bucks when they do their own.

Speaking of... who's doing their own powder coating and wants some extra business?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

EBRAddict

Quote from: raulduke on October 12, 2016, 04:16:28 PM
Fair does to them, they have to make a profit after all.

I remember a while ago there was a bit more of a fad for DIY powder coating (with some really good tutorials knocking about here).

From memory a simple setup didn't look too expensive, so that may be the way to go.

It may not be expensive but it's not easy getting a nice powdercoat. I've done it six times, and admittedly I have the cheapest Harbor Freight kit to work with, but I can't get a decent coat done. I live on a granite mountain so driving multiple copper grounding rods into the earth is not going to happen. The next step up in powder coating gun is $400 so I'm probably not going there, either. I'll probably just go back to spray paint.