News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wolf shirt 2N3565 hfe question

Started by jurfin, October 06, 2016, 10:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurfin

Hello all! Not positive that this is the right forum for my question, but it seemed right at the time. Feel free to banish me indefinitely or move it to the right place if I got it wrong.

My question is about the Wolf Shirt fuzz. I got 6 2N3565 transistors from Smallbear to use in this build, and the variance in hfe is so large that I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations about which ones should go where. I've got two in the 400s, one in the 800s, two in the 900s, and one that's 1400 something. I'm pretty new at this whole thing and could use any guidance you'd care to give about what would do better where, if such a thing is even relevant. I intend to socket them and play around to get it just right, but if anyone has a good starting point I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance!

madbean

An Hfe of 1400 seems hardly possible. How are you testing these?

jurfin

Quote from: madbean on October 06, 2016, 11:37:02 PM

I have a basic and cheap multimeter with an hfe setting, and a little circle thing with holes for the e, b, and c in a few different configurations. Maybe that's not an accurate way to measure these? Forgive me for my nearly complete lack of understanding here  ;D

Bret608

Any 2n3565s I've had have always been around 200-400 hfe. Testing them the way you did should be okay in general, especially for Si transistors like these. On the transistor body, the side that's flat corresponds to the emitter; the center is the base; the other outer pin is the collector. Double-check you did it this way, and let us know if you get the same result.

By the way, the Wolfshirt is an awesome-sounding build. You're in for a treat!

flanagan0718

Love me some wolfshirt!!! Between 200-400 hfe seems along the lines of the one I built a while back. Make sure you check your pin out. I vaguely remember reading something about the PN being a weird pin out. i could be wrong tho.

-Mike-

pickdropper

It's a rabid Wolfshirt.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

beneharris

Quote from: jurfin on October 07, 2016, 01:43:29 AM

I have a basic and cheap multimeter with an hfe setting, and a little circle thing with holes for the e, b, and c in a few different configurations. Maybe that's not an accurate way to measure these? Forgive me for my nearly complete lack of understanding here  ;D

You probably have the little red harbor freight multimeter? mine is plenty accurate it seems, but they have to be in just right or they're wonky. Also, the pinout on the 3565 is weird, so make sure you're getting it oriented correctly.