News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help from builders

Started by Kurttt, September 26, 2016, 07:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurttt

This is off topic a bit but I figured this community could help me out. I was wondering if there is a way to add an LED to the KH-95 Wah without changing the DPDT switch to a 3PDT?

Leevibe

You could use an optical bypass circuit like the optotron. It would allow you to keep the existing switch. You could also try using a soft touch momentary switch with a relay bypass circuit but I don't know if you could find a switch that isn't rattly like a 3pdt in the toe-down region. I'd be curious to know if anyone has done that one.

tcpoint

sonnyboy27

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use a standard 3pdt?

juansolo

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on September 27, 2016, 03:37:24 PM
Is there a particular reason you don't want to use a standard 3pdt?

many, many reasons...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

matmosphere

I'm not clear on why a 3dpt is any worse than the switch it already has. Is it a question of reliability?

Leevibe

Quote from: Matmosphere on September 28, 2016, 11:04:36 PM
I'm not clear on why a 3dpt is any worse than the switch it already has. Is it a question of reliability?

Reliability is almost certainly a factor. The 2PDT's that come in wahs are super burly. For me the bigger issue is that 3PDT switches rattle like crazy when you are using the wah in the toe down position. Even if you're not actuating the switch, the last bit of travel makes the switch plunger click and rattle. The stock switches are much tighter and they don't do that.

juansolo

I actually do a fair amount of pedal repairs here in the UK. 90% of them are dead 3PDT stomps.

I have NEVER had one of my DPDT pedals back for repair with a faulty stomp... That's not to say that they can't/won't fail, they're mechanical and as a mechanical device it will wear and eventually break. I've just not had one back yet, in over 6 years. I have replaced many, many 3PDT stomps.

I've even swapped the allegedly more robust Fulltone and Alpha 3PDTs.

3PDT stomps make me cringe when I open up a commercial pedal and see one.

Boba7

Quote from: juansolo on September 29, 2016, 08:05:54 AM
3PDT stomps make me cringe when I open up a commercial pedal and see one.

I so agree. If I were to buy a commercial pedal (hasn't happened in a while), relay/optical bypass would be mandatory.

Even Keeley still puts 3pdts. That's a shame. I almost bought one of his reverbs, and then hearing the mechanical 3pdt in my head, I didnt.

cajone5

That's interesting... I've never had any issues with my 3PDT's... Guess I don't click them enough.  This is proof I spend too much time building and not enough playing.  2017 goal... fail a 3PDT.

tcpoint

Quote from: cajone5 on September 29, 2016, 02:22:56 PM
That's interesting... I've never had any issues with my 3PDT's... Guess I don't click them enough.  This is proof I spend too much time building and not enough playing.  2017 goal... fail a 3PDT.
I second that.

matmosphere

I don't think any switching option is perfect. I know that 3pdt switches weren't originally designed for the kind of punishment guitarist put them through. I still use them most of the time, because they are cheap and easy. I don't sell stuff often so I figure if one breaks on a pedal i use I will just replace it.

There was a little conversation about 3pdt vs relay on Brian Wampler's podcast this week, it was pretty interesting.

I hadn't thought of the looseness of most 3pdt's, that might be a problem on a wah. I've always avoided wah pedals because I don't like how the switching works, and I'm not much of a lead player.

juansolo

There are switchless wah's out there. Morley do a switchless wah. I only know this as I have a friend who, like you, cannot handle switched wah's when playing live. Swears by it.

Just had a look and they do a small one too, the Maverick.