News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Arrow Electronics Free Shipping US and International On $50 Orders

Started by BrianS, September 14, 2016, 09:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianS

Arrow has free shipping US and on International orders of $50 or more for the month of September. No code needed. For those of you who are just starting out this is a great opportunity to stock up on resistors.  You can get carbon resistors for less than 1 cent but you have to normally go to the last page listed at the bottom to find them and they won't ship for 4 days.  I didn't need many on my restock but I did get some 15k metal for .01. Film caps are a toss up.  I needed to refill odd ones and most were out of stock (for 3 month in a row). 

The do have some enclosed Switchcraft jacks for .34 cents (I am sure they're probably not US made). The screw shaft is plastic not like in the picture but I bought some on my last order and they seem ok. Haven't put anything together to use them yet.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/n112bpcsx/switchcraft

Anyway just thought I would share this.

neandrewthal

Interesting. does that mean the ground is completely isolated from the panel?

EBRAddict

Arrow over-packages everything. I once ordered two voltage regulators as part of an order and it came in its own 10" x 6" x 24" box, in a 18" long piece of ESD tubing, inside a huge ESD mylar baggie, wrapped in gobs of packing paper and included a dozen sheets of printed paper. That's an extreme example but illustrative.

I shouldn't really care but it's just wasteful.

Edited to add: their service has been very good every time I've ordered from them. Many times they have much better pricing than Mouser on higher end chips from Analog Devices and they also stock Linear Technology products. They seem to ship from the southwest US so if you're on that coast it might be faster than Mouser.

BrianS

Quote from: neandrewthal on September 14, 2016, 10:33:18 PM
Interesting. does that mean the ground is completely isolated from the panel?

That's a good question and one I can't answer. I was just going to run ground from the board to both jacks.  I'm sure if that is wrong someone will post the correct response.

EBRAddict

It depends, is that metal collar around the screw shaft grounded? If so it's probably OK.

Drew Hallenbeck

Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

gtr2

I looked at them before but their site navigation isn't great IMO.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

stecykmi

Quote from: gtr2 on September 15, 2016, 08:12:12 PM
I looked at them before but their site navigation isn't great IMO.

ya when you search "10k" you get anything with that in it like 410k, 510k, 1000k, etc. i didn't try the store yet.

this might be cheaper for small orders but if you are doing a big order, you might get a better deal with mouser. mouser gives free shipping after $200, which we all know is not hard to spend when you're buying parts.

gtr2

I've placed many orders over 200 and never received free shipping.  Is that for international?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

BrianS

Site says free international shipping if it's over $50 order.  And everything that all have replied is true.  They over package stuff and the site isn't to easy to navigate (it's pretty damn frustrating). But I purchased the few parts I needed from them for a Total Recall build that I didn't have on hand plus some other stuff.  It was a small order and it didn't make that much difference that it took a little time to find what I needed.  What I got cost twice as much from Mouser just for the parts. I'm by no means hyping the company.  My whole thought process was just to inform everyone of the free shipping and nothing more just like the Tayda discount codes that are posted twice a month.

Willybomb

Lol, the site doesn't let me put more than one 1590DD in the cart.

EBRAddict

So I received 3 separately shipped boxes from my free shipping order. I ordered 10 3.3V SMD voltage regulators (box 1), 10 5V SMD voltage regulators (box 2) and 1 2" LCD screen (box 3). To give you an idea, here's the contents of box 1:

I understand they are desperate to get into the "maker"/"IoT" crowd but they spent 3x on my order just on shipping and packaging.

matmosphere

alanp

RS are wellknown for packaging shenanigans like that. (A one meter long box for five 7815 regulators, anyone?)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Quote from: Matmosphere on September 21, 2016, 02:46:06 AM
Perhaps they shipped from three different warehouses.

Correct.  Not so much a problem with free shipping, but once that deal goes it because difficult to order with them economically as you tend to get hit with numerous shipping charges.  I think this also applies to backorders as well.  I have only ordered from then a couple of times in the past.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube