News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can you use the Taptation with the dirt baby?

Started by pappasmurfsharem, September 13, 2016, 06:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

Any reason the Taptation couldn't be use with the dirt baby?

;D

pappasmurfsharem

Looking at the schematic I'm thinking that's a no :(

madbean

It's possible, but you would need to disconnect things. The entire LFO would need to be nixed (everything between R32 and R37) as well as R38 and the Delay pot. Connect the Tapatation as normal to pin6 of the PT2399. So, you won't have the normal DMM type modulation available in that case but you will have the modulation available from the Taptation.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: madbean on September 13, 2016, 10:03:58 AM
It's possible, but you would need to disconnect things. The entire LFO would need to be nixed (everything between R32 and R37) as well as R38 and the Delay pot. Connect the Tapatation as normal to pin6 of the PT2399. So, you won't have the normal DMM type modulation available in that case but you will have the modulation available from the Taptation.

I get the feeling this would kill some of what makes the Dirtbaby/DMM great, no? To be honest I can't say I would really use the LFO functions. I just like the sound of the delay, but I'm not sure if that LFO section plays into that sound.

Boba7

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I just finished a tap tempo Dirtbaby that works perfectly well with the original modulation.
I used a mini JMK taptation board and had to go through a dozen PT2399 to find the one that would be the least noisy and would sync with the taptation chip the best.
R38 is a jumper, C3 is a standard electro, and the JMK board connects to pin6.

Here's my build report (with a few other mods) if you're interested: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=24816.0

Cheers!