News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JHS kits

Started by mattc, September 07, 2016, 12:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattc

stringsthings

That's quite a lot to ask for a pedal kit.  Stew-mac has never been a real cheap place to shop.
Nice tools though.
All You Need Is Love

matmosphere

It's inline with BYOC prices.

Tremster

What?
Hardly anyone can ever sell completed DIY builds for that kind of money.

culturejam

I think the point of the pricing is to make the market for hobbyist JHS clones (*cough*) out of the range of reasonable. Why buy a clone from an unknown hobbyist when you can buy a "real" JHS pedal for a couple bucks more?

As usual, this is a very slick move from JHS. He's a sly fox, that one.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on September 07, 2016, 02:04:17 PM
I think the point of the pricing is to make the market for hobbyist JHS clones (*cough*) out of the range of reasonable. Why buy a clone from an unknown hobbyist when you can buy a "real" JHS pedal for a couple bucks more?

I think the thing is they have the name so they can charge the money. I'm not sure that JHS embraces the DIY thing, but it's my guess that if they sold them for any less I be people would be worried that they were just some cheap licensed thing or something.

I say cheers, maybe it'll bring some folks into the community. If I guy builds a 808 then hears about the Multiplex or something and launches into DIY it'll be good for the community.

beneharris

Quote from: culturejam on September 07, 2016, 02:04:17 PM

I think you're right. For as much flak as the guy gets; most unwarranted, IMO, he sure is a good businessman.

And in defense of the price - now, I'd never even think about paying that much, you could make your own board, do a custom enclosure, and still not spend $100 to make the pedal, but I wouldn't have known that before I really got into this stuff. There is a price for convenience.

drolo

*someone needs to tell these people on the market for jhs pedals the truth*

Govmnt_Lacky

Not too much more than what SB has been charging for kits over the years.... just sayin'

Muadzin

Quote from: drolo on September 07, 2016, 03:16:32 PM

Save yourself the trouble, they will only get mad at you. I know from experience. People who have bought into a hype never take kindly to being told that what they believe in is wrong.

As for the OP, my first instinct checking the webpage out was thinking 'with all those build docs available we'll probably see a few new vero layouts appear on tagboard, courtesy of the build doc schematics. But to my surprise there are no schematics in the build docs. So if you want to trace one you'd still have to buy the pedal or the kit. Also not very helpful if you have to troubleshoot your build. On the plus side, the build docs are some of the best I've ever seen. BYOC, eat your heart out!

culturejam

Quote from: Muadzin on September 08, 2016, 05:07:19 PM
So if you want to trace one you'd still have to buy the pedal or the kit.

Or you could just figure out which original circuit those kits are clones of and go from there. ;)

Hint: Tubescreamer, Rat, FuzzRite, and Escobedo's Duende circuit
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Muadzin

Quote from: culturejam on September 08, 2016, 06:39:25 PMOr you could just figure out which original circuit those kits are clones of and go from there. ;)

Hint: Tubescreamer, Rat, FuzzRite, and Escobedo's Duende circuit

Knowing JHS the changes are bound to be minimal. Unfortunately I'm not at that level where I can discern what those changes are.

neandrewthal

Quote from: drolo on September 07, 2016, 03:16:32 PM

What's the truth? They are just overhyped? Or they are all barely changed clones?

I really like my homemade Morning glory/Bluesbreaker clone I built from an Aion board. I know exactly what they changed from the original (the value of one capacitor, deleted another one and added a JFET clipping stage) because I had to include a a 4PDT switch to select from BB or MG. There is also quite an appreciable sonic difference from doing this.

Are some of their other pedals much closer clones than that without advertising that fact?

I'm not trying to defend them or condemn them either way, but I wouldn't get worked up about the price of kits. Kits are always prohibitively expensive IMO vs sourcing your own parts. You are paying someone to sit there and count out parts for you and if your kit is from a company that sells completed projects then you are also paying for a license to build their design. Not for me, but it could still be worth it for someone who wants to try their hand at building a pedal without figuring out how to order all the right parts. No schematic with a kit however is unacceptable to me.

movinginslomo

Wonder if these will bring new folks into the word of DIY, and if so what kind of folks. "Put down my PRS private stock and fired up my soldering gun just purchased at home depot out on the workshop table in my garage. made a real mess of these teeny little doo-dad components, maybe I should of just bought the landgraff after all!" (I am probably exaggerating and stereotyping)

Muadzin

Maybe the same kind of people who get started on BYOC kits? I just wanted a few classic pedals that were no longer in production and a store introduced me to BYOC. And so it begins......