News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

boneyard clipping problem

Started by jball85, August 01, 2011, 03:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jball85

My recently completed boneyard sounds great when it works, however when I plug a cable into the input jack the led (clipping) on the far left lights up and stays lit causing a crappy fuzz like sound with a nasty decay. I can flick the led with my finger and it will then go dark, and it works properly again. I think this might be because of a cold solder joint on the sockets I used for this led, but Im not sure cuz the joint looks alright. Any thoughts?  ???

stecykmi

when you plug the input jack in, are you pushing on any components on the board? I had this problem once, the input jack was shorting some stuff out.

jball85

nope the input jack isnt touching any part of the board or enclosure or any other component. When I move the board out from the enclosure (thus bending some wires) the led will go dark. Im about to take some pics for reference, and then remove the guts and look at the solder side of the board and then reheat some of the joints.

jball85

this is more detailed explanation I hope. when the input jack is inserted the middle and right leds light up then fade to dark while the far left lights up and stays lit. wtf? ???

jball85

>:(just detached the pots from the enclosure to clip excess wire coming off the solder side. the pedal no longer works at all. all three leds are now lit with input cable inserted, if I touch the cable or jack the leds go dark or if I turn the crunch, tone, or volume pots down the leds darken. Wiring is correct. Component placement is correct. Solder joints are not cold.  >:(

jball85

After some flux resin scraping, reheating joints, and removing cheap crappy sockets the boneyard is now open for business. ;D