News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hand Swirled Orange Compressor

Started by standingzero, August 26, 2016, 12:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

standingzero

This is my first Orange Compressor build. The PCB is modelled after the Henretta version, which is made to fit an LB case... hense the footswitch jumpers. I'm also digging the LED lenses as an aesthetic touch. I used an old General Guitar Gadgets enclosure I had lying around. Not a fan of the hardware spacing, but it'll do.

This is my 5th swirl and I more or less follow the dragonfly swirl method with some adaptations:
1. Prime Coat before.
2. Play around with different acrylic / water viscosities. Too thick and it'll dry like a blob, too thin and it'll look like it's eroded (which does look cool in a way)
3. GENTLY wet sand after 24 hrs, just to even things out.
4. 1-3 decent coats of clear to bring enhance shine and create an illusion of depth.
5. Finish with envirotex. The last step actually brings out the best in the swirl, makes it incredibly durable, and gives an smooth glassy finish on top.
* The baseline acrylic layer doesn't dry super fast so if you aren't happy don't be afraid to run it over some water an wipe the paint to and start again.

I need time to see if this beats out my guitarpcb Ross clone, for now I think the Ross edges it out in terms of flexibility.

jimilee

Man, that is very cool looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dbp512

Thats stunning! I like how heavily you swirl all 3 colors, but still manage to maintain enough distinction between them.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

standingzero

Thanks fellas, if any of you are interested I'm open to swirling boxes for others.

daleykd

Quote from: standingzero on August 26, 2016, 12:57:56 PM
Thanks fellas, if any of you are interested I'm open to swirling boxes for others.
Goodness; what's shipping from Korea to US like?  I figured you'd have to pack them in your suitcase and wait til you got back to CA.

standingzero

That would be simplest. Shipping is 15-20 bucks.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Rootz

I just love this swirl!! OS aren't exactly versatile indeed. Set 'm up for single coils and they sound squishy with humbuckers. Set em up for hum buckers and there is no compression with single coils. But they do sound great! And with such a simple circuit it should be very simple to build a dual compressor, something like Pete Thorn uses on his pedal board.