News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ugly Commercial Pedals—Repaint, Rehouse, or Cringe?

Started by Aleph Null, August 23, 2016, 05:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

Have you ever purchased a commercial pedal that you loved the sound of, but couldn't stand the look of? Did you repaint it, rehouse it, or just decide to live with it?

I recently purchased a Morley Twin Mix (I was too lazy to build something myself). The pedal is well built and works wonderfully, but the graphic design is atrocious. I actually think it makes it harder to use.

Please share your thoughts. Or pictures of ugly ducklings!

m-Kresol

you could just repaint the thing. Get the electronics out, sand off the paint and go from there.

I know that dminner has rehoused or refinished a few commercial builds to match his style
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Aleph Null

I'm  considering a repaint. I might add a switch to change it from a twin mix to an ABY. It's the same PCB with some different jumpers.

matmosphere

That is pretty ugly. Covering it with duct tape would even be an improvement.

Stomptown

If there's a possibility you might sell it down the road I would leave it alone.  If you know you'll keep it forever, give that duckling a facelift!  ;D

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Quote from: alanp on August 24, 2016, 03:39:42 AM
What if you're too cheap to actually BUY a pedal?

Haha! That! I'm in your camp Alan!  ;D
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Aleph Null

Depending on how much you value your time, it might be cheaper to buy than build. I decided to buy because 1) I was feeling impatient and 2) it would prevent me from unnecessarily complicating the thing by adding "features".

dbp512

Unnecessarily complicating things by adding "features" is half the reason why I got into this!
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

Stomptown

Quote from: GrindCustoms on August 24, 2016, 03:46:52 AM

Haha! That! I'm in your camp Alan!  ;D

lol. My only non-diy pedal is a Boss TU-2 tuner so I guess I'm a part of the club too.  Oh, and I repainted it...  ;D

Muadzin

I'm with Alan. Anything for which a buildable vero exists I will never buy. Anything for which a buildable pcb exists I will never buy. The only effects I still buy tend to be delays and multi FX modelers.

m-Kresol

I am also one of the strong DIY supporters. It's just too much fun to build it yourself. I think it is not necessarily cheaper than buying in many cases, but I don't want to pay someone to have all the fun that I could have building it ;)
The only commercial things I have is a poyltune, Boss Volume pedal, Hotone wally looper and a DD-5 from Muadzin, iirc.

Quote from: Muadzin on August 24, 2016, 09:36:55 AM
Anything for which a buildable vero exists I will never buy.

Anything for which a buildable vero exists, I will design a pcb for and don't hassle with vero  ;D
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

raulduke

Quote from: Muadzin on August 24, 2016, 09:36:55 AM
I'm with Alan. Anything for which a buildable vero exists I will never buy. Anything for which a buildable pcb exists I will never buy. The only effects I still buy tend to be delays and multi FX modelers.

This is pretty much how I am as well.

I have more than enough dirt/fuzz pedals so don't really take any interest in the stuff that's out there anymore.

Delays however...  ;D

neandrewthal

Can't see what's really so bad about it.

If I had a pedal that was unbearably ugly I would just sell it and build a replacement if it has any value. If it would cost more to build one, then hack away!

THESE are ugly. It's almost unfair to post digital multis because they are a class of their own and are always ugly so I will limit them to this one first pic:

And finally, comic sans anyone?

matmosphere

Wait you can buy these things!? Are they expensive?  :P