News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is anyone here from Seattle (or, much less likely, Hawaii)?

Started by midwayfair, August 15, 2016, 02:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Lexa and I are going to Hawaii again this year, big island this time, in October. We'll be in Seattle for a couple days (a Tuesday and Wednesday I think).

Anyway, last year I managed to set up a show in Portland, and that was fun, and I'd like to set one up in one of these areas, but I don't really know many people out that way. (I actually did have a couple friends in Portland.)

If anyone knows any really froody folks or is a froody person themselves in these locales and can think of a musical home for a folk singer, please let PM me. We'll have a car in Hawaii, so location doesn't matter, but not Seattle.

We'll also be in Honolulu for a couple days.

jubal81

Just moved to Ellensburg (100 miles from Seattle) so I don't have any connections, but I'd definitely be down to attend or meet up. Jealous, though. Been wanting to go to Hawaii for a long time.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

m-Kresol

Quote from: midwayfair on August 15, 2016, 02:44:05 AM
Lexa and I are going to Hawaii again this year, big island this time, in October. We'll be in Seattle for a couple days (a Tuesday and Wednesday I think).

Anyway, last year I managed to set up a show in Portland, and that was fun, and I'd like to set one up in one of these areas, but I don't really know many people out that way. (I actually did have a couple friends in Portland.)

If anyone knows any really froody folks or is a froody person themselves in these locales and can think of a musical home for a folk singer, please let PM me. We'll have a car in Hawaii, so location doesn't matter, but not Seattle.

We'll also be in Honolulu for a couple days.

There's at least one member from Hawaii. Can't remember who it was though, just that he commented "boards have landed in hawaii". Good luck Jon

edit: found him. his username is pogart. Maybe shoot him a pm
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

samhay

Aron over on DIYSB is in Hawaii too and seems to be well connected with the local live music scene.

midwayfair

Quote from: samhay on August 15, 2016, 11:34:22 AM
Aron over on DIYSB is in Hawaii too and seems to be well connected with the local live music scene.

I asked, he's checking into it for me, but he's pretty busy so I don't know if he'll be able to find anything for me. It's kind of short notice.

Jason: Didn't know you moved again!

culturejam

BYO forum user CKYvick is a Hawaiian dude.  And he's really nice. I got to meet  him a few years ago when he visited NYC.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pogart

Hey John, Kona side of Big Island here. Couple spots off the top of my head that have live acoustic music (guitar,Uke) are Lava Java cafe and San Fransisco Coffee company. Hugo's on the Rocks may still have live music but I have not noticed on the days I have been nearby. All are on Ali'i drive in Kailua. Not sure if the players are featured weekly or if they switch them up though. Hilo side may have more places or opportunities as well as Puna but I don't know any specific clubs/cafes. Friday night art nights up in Holualoa village above Kailua is busy as the galleries have live artists demo's so that may be worth looking into. Hope this helps a little.

midwayfair

Quote from: pogart on August 15, 2016, 06:28:29 PM
Hey John, Kona side of Big Island here. Couple spots off the top of my head that have live acoustic music (guitar,Uke) are Lava Java cafe and San Fransisco Coffee company. Hugo's on the Rocks may still have live music but I have not noticed on the days I have been nearby. All are on Ali'i drive in Kailua. Not sure if the players are featured weekly or if they switch them up though. Hilo side may have more places or opportunities as well as Puna but I don't know any specific clubs/cafes. Friday night art nights up in Holualoa village above Kailua is busy as the galleries have live artists demo's so that may be worth looking into. Hope this helps a little.

Thank you! Do you happen to know any local musicians that play folk that I might want to get in touch with to split a show with?

pogart

Let me ask some friends and see what they say. Here is the # or Soundwave music in town,(808) 326-2297. The guys there are pretty cool, and might have some info that will help. Lava Java bistro :  (808) 518-6989 and san fransisco coffee co 808-5576441. I will ask around tomorrow when I am at the gallery painting and see what I can source for you man.

midwayfair

Quote from: pogart on August 15, 2016, 11:57:26 PM
Let me ask some friends and see what they say. Here is the # or Soundwave music in town,(808) 326-2297. The guys there are pretty cool, and might have some info that will help. Lava Java bistro :  (808) 518-6989 and san fransisco coffee co 808-5576441. I will ask around tomorrow when I am at the gallery painting and see what I can source for you man.

Thank you so much! :)

jubal81

Quote from: midwayfair on August 15, 2016, 01:29:00 PM
Quote from: samhay on August 15, 2016, 11:34:22 AM

I asked, he's checking into it for me, but he's pretty busy so I don't know if he'll be able to find anything for me. It's kind of short notice.

Jason: Didn't know you moved again!

Yeah, been a pretty hectic year, which is why I haven't been as active around here. Great to be working in an actual newsroom again, but the transition hasn't been easy.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pogart

Hey John, what dates are you on Big Island?. Ironman World championships are the weekend of Oct 8th. It is pretty crazy full with people and a heady exciting atmosphere. There may be extra opportunities to play for you. I noticed Hugo's still has their stage set up for live music and no one was playing (Sunday) so they may have a schedule with openings available. I'll update in here if I get some clear info for you.

midwayfair

Quote from: pogart on August 17, 2016, 06:50:43 PM
Hey John, what dates are you on Big Island?. Ironman World championships are the weekend of Oct 8th. It is pretty crazy full with people and a heady exciting atmosphere. There may be extra opportunities to play for you. I noticed Hugo's still has their stage set up for live music and no one was playing (Sunday) so they may have a schedule with openings available. I'll update in here if I get some clear info for you.

We'll be on the big island 10/15 (I think we're flying there from Oahu pretty late in the afternoon) through Wednesday night.

I'll try the phone numbers you gave me ... I checked out the websites but neither had anything about music there.