News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pig butt self oscillating (thin board sale)

Started by controlFreak, August 11, 2016, 01:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

controlFreak

Well this is my first post here, might as well show my ass. Have built hundreds of pedals, worked proffessionally in music electronics for 7 years... About ready to throw this pcb in the trash.

The circuit works and passes signal, only problem is there is a constant squeeeeel at about 3khz... Like the input and output are connected forming a feedback loop... Only there is no such physical connection. Have tried pcb without bypass switching and the problem is definitely on the pcb. I noticed the output trace runs directly underneath the input components... Wtf!? High gain circuit pcb layout fail! When signals are in phase with each other you don't run traces like that!!! Curious if anyone else has built one of these thin sale pigbutt boards with success.

Subbed some resistor values for what I had on hand, stayed "close enough" imo. Kept the fixed gain resistors in op amp stages to have gain equal to or less than stock.

Voltages are all good and closely match spec'd values on the instructions.

somnif

Not sure what is wrong with your build, but I can confirm I built a thin one that works fine. Bit on the wooly side of the fuzz range, but fully functional. No more noise than what I usually get with single coils in my poorly wired apartment (IE lots of hum, but nothing squealy).

controlFreak

controlFreak

Found the prob! R11 and 12... Gotta pull down the signal there or it will whine!

Am currently playing with a crossover distortion diode "gate" in series with r11