News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590BB - Top Mount Jacks ?

Started by daleykd, August 10, 2016, 01:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daleykd

I'm dying over here, guys!  I'm trying to design a new pedal, and am PRETTY sure it can fit in a 1590BB.  It'll be almost all SMD, so that helps to a degree.

I was using the Keeley Tone Workstation as a basis for layout (it looks like it can fit 7 knobs on a top row!), and it has top-mounted jacks. 

I also noticed pedals like EQD's Avalanche Run (while 1590BB vertical) fits the pots and jacks awfully close to each other. 

Does anyone have any pics of the insides of something like this?  I'm trying to get an idea of PCB/internals layout and am struggling with this.  I was going to use the switched, isolated jacks like EQD so I could easily board mount them.

Thanks in advance. 

(I may resign to a 1590BB Tall, but I'd rather fight to see if this is doable first.)

dan.schumaker

Its totally possible to do top mount jacks in a 1590BB.  I have found it much more doable when the jacks are over the pots, instead of over the pots & PCB (like in this picture of the bi-polar bear).

I'm not sure how it is done in the Keeley or the Avalanche run, but in some other EQD designs, the pots have not had any pcb over them.

daleykd

That looks AWFULLY deep to be a regular 1590BB?  Could just be the camera angle.

Also, those are 16mm pots.  It makes sense if it's 16mm.  It's the damn 9mm that's killing me. :)

I'll TRY 16mm pots and see if it works.  I think I can squeeze 6 x 16mm pots on a row in a 1590BB horizontal.

matmosphere

You can easily get six of them across the top of a horizontal 1590bb.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: daleykd on August 10, 2016, 01:47:06 PM
That looks AWFULLY deep to be a regular 1590BB?  Could just be the camera angle.

It is a 1590BB, it must be the angle.  You can totally do 6 across with top mount  :) (And with these questions, it might be time to spill the beans, what are you working on ;) )

matmosphere

Funny I was wondering the same thing.

davent

My Skyripper is 7 pots in a row including a 24mm dual, three toggles, two stomps and three top mount jacks in a horizontal 1590bb. All hand drilled long before i got a drill press.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

daleykd

Nice.  I see that it's 9mm, non-PCB mount, with no PCB.  That explains a lot.

Still makes me wonder how "mass-produced" (EQD, Walrus, Keeley, etc.) do it.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: daleykd on August 10, 2016, 05:52:23 PM
Still makes me wonder how "mass-produced" (EQD, Walrus, Keeley, etc.) do it.

Cody

daleykd

I love you, Cody.

I was wondering if they did that: cut the legs of the 9mm pots!

neandrewthal

I only do top mount in BB whether portrait or landscape. For that reason I exclusively use the 1.55 inch thick BBM from Mammoth.

With that much depth you can easily go over 16mm pot AND and a board as long as there is nothing thicker than say a 4001 diode in the way. To achieve this I often have to mount resistors near the top on the underside of the board to leave room to lay down capacitors. Really fat electros have to be laid out of the way though, not under the jacks.  Also, if you put resistors on the underside right under a pot then you can save a little space by sitting the pot right on the resistors without a dust cover.

This is all with switchraft jacks. If you use lumberjacks it would be a lot easier. I use Switchcraft because they are high quality, I like the feel and I bought a box of 700 when they were blowing out the pre-rohs versions.

davent

This ones standard 16mm pots and top mounted open Neutrik jacks in a regular 1590bb. Nothing exotic required.

With Lumberg jacks i've top mounted with 16mm pots in a 1590b, that one's a bit of a challenge.

I can't remember whether seven 16mm jacks would fit in a row across a 1590bb, i had to go with the 24mm dual for the value i needed.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

m-Kresol

I've build a few pedals in regular 1590BB with top mount jacks, eg. the rustbucket here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21402.msg211632#msg211632

With the lumberg jacks it's easier I guess, because of the smaller footprint and you can cut/file off the plastic housing if needed. I agree with mounting some parts on the backside of the pcb if possible. still easier to get a 125BB and get a little extra room.

and Dave: you dare stomping on these builds of yours? They should go in a museum. work of art, man. work of art!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

davent

Thanks Felix, once the portrait's taken i can stomp away freely. The Skyripper, eight years on shows no wear, (took out the power jack for straight batteries). Most look fine, little in the way of abuse.

Another enclosure to consider, i used for six 16mm across and top mount is the 1590Q, a square based on the long side of the 1590BB, same depth. Not sure how big of a pcb you need to accommodate with all those pots.

dave