News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Poindexter P90 Killer

Started by nzCdog, July 28, 2011, 02:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

I killed a p90 with this pedal, literally :(  

Shorted the 9V to guitar input by accident when checking some voltages with my meter.  Learn from me, thankfully I have a spare pickup lying around but it was pretty gut-ripping when I found out my mistake.  Unplug the guitar when you are prodding a circuit that has volts in it  :'(

So this is a little different than stock... tweaking things made me very happy with the sound of this pedal.

*Added 470pF cap across lugs 1-3 of gain to reduce a lot of radio interference

*Added a presence control to the output... thats the trimpot in next to the 3PDT... to take a little hair off the top end without changing the sound too much, making it fit in with my normal clean channel sound and my other pedals better.

*Settled on 1N4148 and 1N34A as the diodes... went thru a whole lot including LEDs and other clippers... these two seem to strike a nice combo

*Rather insanely I put a multicolor flashing LED in here too... It has a 220uF Electrolytic in parallel with it to filter any noise... looks cool and suits the chaotic sounds this pedal can make!

*(Edit) Forgot that I changed the value of R25 to 1K.  Drops it down to about 8 Volts... The effect is less gain and more of a 'gated' attack.

Its an addictive pedal, very playable with noth neck and bridge pups, with both my strat and my PRS p90 guitars.  

cjkbug

cool build. that's my octave fuzz of choice these days. how is the presence control mod done?

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Im super into it! I got one of these boards also cause it just seems like its fun to play with. Your graphic is very fitting! Too bad about the pickup... :-\
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

thanks guys. :)

Quote from: cjkbug on July 28, 2011, 02:18:18 AM
cool build. that's my octave fuzz of choice these days. how is the presence control mod done?

Take a parallel feed of the output > Lug 2 of a 10KB trimpot.  Lug 3 connects to a 22n Cap > Ground.
You can see it in the gut shot, the switch is wired Madbean method with the two extra wires going to the perfboard. :)

nzCdog

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on July 28, 2011, 02:22:49 AM
Im super into it! I got one of these boards also cause it just seems like its fun to play with. Your graphic is very fitting! Too bad about the pickup... :-\

Thanks man... I actually had a lot of problems with this pedal, not just pickup-killing.   The Graphics bled colour under the lacquer, which didn't happen last time but I went to a different printshop and ended up having an argument with the staff there who charged a bomb for a poor quality job.  >:(

My daughter said to me, "I like how he's glowing Dad."  So the problem = the solution; Poindexter is glowing from drinking his crazy potion!  So I just decided to finish it and be done.  ::)

cjkbug

so it's a treble attenuator, I got it. the bleeding graphics don't look bad in the photos.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

nzCdog

Yea it really works a charm...  and the pedal still sounds like it should. Thanks bro...  :)

mgwhit

Did you really cram two 1/4" jacks and a power jack in the top side of a 1590B.  If so, you're my hero.

Pedal looks great, even with the bleeding.  I assumed it was intentional.

chip46

nzCdog

Quote from: mgwhit on July 28, 2011, 03:53:02 AM
Did you really cram two 1/4" jacks and a power jack in the top side of a 1590B.  If so, you're my hero.

Pedal looks great, even with the bleeding.  I assumed it was intentional.

Thanks bro... yeah its a 1590B but not a hammond, some cheap clone.  The jacks were some cheapos from effectsconnection, I'm sure they're a tad smaller than the switchcrafts... it was tight!

chip46

How tall is it? Looks deep for a 1590

nzCdog

mgwhit

Yeah, Hammond says 27mm for the inside height of a 1590B.  Bummer.  Cool for you, though.  That extra 5mm is a game changer.  I'll bet that on a pedal board that probably takes up almost as little space as a 1590A once you consider that you really have to side mount your jacks on the 1590A.  (Unless maybe you have the world's thinnest 90° angle plugs.)

jimmybjj

Great lookig build, inlikethe graphics. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the enclosure?
Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thanks for the mod suggestion. I'll have to try it on my Octane. I agree I think the graphics look cool with the bleed over. I actually thought you did it on purpose. What are printing on material-wise (waterslides?) that you can get a print shop to do it for you? Everytime I take decal film (waterslide) to a shop or staples they refuse to put it through the printer.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals