News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GFS has fully finished/glued LP style bodies

Started by culturejam, July 22, 2016, 06:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

stringsthings

This would make a great DIY build.  Thanks for sharing.
All You Need Is Love

gordo

Posted this when the first GFS batch came out:

This is one of the GFS setneck bodies cut up for a Gibson peghead and then with some eBay decals.  Nobody is ever going to mistake this for a real LP but it's close enough that I obviously can't sell it.

XGP and Slick hardware.  Total investment is a bit south of $300.  Lots of work reshaping the peghead and getting the finish to match.  And look!  I've already buggered up the peghead corner.

Fat 59 neck profile, finish needed a fair bit of tweaking for overshoot and orange peel but nothing that can't be done by hand.  This is a killer little guitar and I'm really sold on the PAF-like Slick Old School pickups.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

atreidesheir

Quote from: gordo on July 22, 2016, 10:09:01 PM
Posted this when the first GFS batch came out:

This is one of the GFS setneck bodies cut up for a Gibson peghead and then with some eBay decals.  Nobody is ever going to mistake this for a real LP but it's close enough that I obviously can't sell it.

XGP and Slick hardware.  Total investment is a bit south of $300.  Lots of work reshaping the peghead and getting the finish to match.  And look!  I've already buggered up the peghead corner.

Fat 59 neck profile, finish needed a fair bit of tweaking for overshoot and orange peel but nothing that can't be done by hand.  This is a killer little guitar and I'm really sold on the PAF-like Slick Old School pickups.

How is the fretwork?  I am always wary of the necks of budget guitars.  It seperates the men from the boys.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

culturejam

Yeah, the fretwork is a main concern for me. That and wondering if the neck is glued in straight and the holes are drilled in the right spots.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

Fretwork was good. Touched up a few beyond the 14th fret and polished. The truss rod works well. Drilling was good but with CNC technology these days it's not too surprising. There was noticeable finish lift around many of the holes which leaves a minor air pocket. It's an easy fix: use thin super glue and touch the tip to the edge of the lift. Capillary action will suck glue in and the pocket will completely disappear. It's an easy and permanent fix and a pretty common thing if you pull the bridge on a budget guitar. I love this thing and am lusting after the tea burst quilt.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

atreidesheir

Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman