News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY oscilloscope

Started by m-Kresol, July 18, 2016, 05:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

does anyone have experience with simple scopes like this?

http://www.ebay.at/itm/DSO138-Digital-Oszilloskop-DIY-Kit-1Msps-200KHz-2-4-Bandwidth-Probe-Case-/262503127460?hash=item3d1e67d9a4:g:wgEAAOSwnNBXaemI

would be cheap and could just work well enough for setting up analogue delays and checkinhg easy things...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

stecykmi

a friend built one but i haven't played with it. there are lots of youtube videos about these things. the resolution is poor but it would probably work good enough just for tracing a signal around. hard to beat the price.

galaxiex

Yep, I built one.

Mine came from China and I didn't notice until after I ordered it, that it's a kit. (poorly shown in the ad, and not made clear that it was a kit, I think they corrected that  ::)
IOW, soldering IS required, and it's almost all SMD.

Not a deal breaker for me, but was quite tedious to solder all those tiny parts.
The hard part was trying to decipher the chinglish and figure out which tiny cap or resistor went where.
The parts are incredibly small and my old guy eyes were very strained, even with some good magnifiers.

It works ok, as said the resolution is not great, but for simple circuit tracing and looking at audio signals it works fine.

I'd buy another if this one broke, but would look for an assembled version.
The higher price for assembled would be worth it to me.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

m-Kresol

The link I posted has the board pre-soldered with all SMD parts and includes a plastic enclosure. I just ordered one and will report back. According to the videos I've seen it's decent considering the price but nothing you would use for work. While it's rated up to 200kHz, it's getting wonky beyond 100kHz but Mn300x chips have clock frequencies of 100kHz max so it should do the trick for analogue delays as well as audio signals.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

galaxiex

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 19, 2016, 08:28:37 AM
The link I posted has the board pre-soldered with all SMD parts and includes a plastic enclosure. I just ordered one and will report back. According to the videos I've seen it's decent considering the price but nothing you would use for work. While it's rated up to 200kHz, it's getting wonky beyond 100kHz but Mn300x chips have clock frequencies of 100kHz max so it should do the trick for analogue delays as well as audio signals.

Ahhh, my bad. Lousy old guy memory....  ;)

The scope kit I bought is indeed the same as the one in your link. Needs soldering the thru hole parts but the SMD stuff is done for you.

The kit I bought that required all that SMD soldering was a spectrum display kit like this...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DIY-Audio-Level-Meter-LED-Display-Amplifier-HIFI-MP3-PC-Music-Spectrum-Analyzer-/252377711122?hash=item3ac2e24212:g:DtAAAOSw0HVWC6~D

Truly brutal job for my old eyes.

Sorry for any confusion.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

EBRAddict

Quote from: galaxiex on July 19, 2016, 09:32:10 PM

Truly brutal job for my old eyes.

Sometimes I'd like to smack people who say they can solder 0603 parts without any magnification.

sturgeo

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 19, 2016, 08:28:37 AM
I just ordered one and will report back. According to the videos I've seen it's decent considering the price but nothing you would use for work. While it's rated up to 200kHz, it's getting wonky beyond 100kHz but Mn300x chips have clock frequencies of 100kHz max so it should do the trick for analogue delays as well as audio signals.

Did you ever get this built up? I'm gearing up for a total recall build and also need a scope for diagnosing automotive projects.

m-Kresol

I did, sorry for never updating the thread. It's decent enough, had some minor troubleshooting. Turned out I used to much solder on a switch and shorted two pads.

that being said, I wasn't successful in using it with the total recall. I can't properly bias it by ear, the scope is only showing weird stuff (could be me though!), but their is definitely something wrong with my build, so it could be that too.
At this point I would neither recommend it nor could say anything bad about it. You get what you pay for. It's cheap and especially the casing takes some trial and error to find out how it is supposed to be assembled (there are YT videos about it though)