News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how do YOU solder wire on a board?

Started by okeephoss, July 17, 2016, 11:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeephoss

to achieve solid connection and neatness? thanks
I aways just bend lead to secure it in place.  there's gotta be a better way.

matmosphere

Always make sure to tin your wire beforehand. It makes all the difference.

okeephoss

don't tin when I'm solder into a board.  Only when solder on to pots, switches etc.  I'll give it a go.

jimilee

I rarely tin at all, too lazy. Put the wire through said hole. Iron on 1 side of the wire, solder on the other side of the wire.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 18, 2016, 12:31:06 AM

Absolutely! I always recommend tinning. it helps 100%. Also most boards are mounded component side up so I feed my wire through the solder side and solder so the tip sticks out the component side. Like so...

matmosphere

Using good quality wire is also very important. When I started buying wire from Smallbear things definitely got easier and more durable.

selfdestroyer

I too wire up my PCBs like flanagan0718, under the PCB. I think its a lot cleaner. Sometimes I use bluetack to hold stubborn wires through the PCB in place so I can soldier them.

Cody

jball85

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 18, 2016, 12:31:06 AM

Always do this as well. Depending upon the wire used, some brands the jacket will melt while soldering and shrink leaving exposed wire on the non solder pad side.